Credit unions begin recovery process even as Harvey continues

first_img 8SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr continue reading » Southeastern Texas credit unions have begun the long process of recovery even Tropical Storm Harvey continues to batter the region.The Cornerstone Credit Union League reported roughly 50 credit union closings–and numerous additional branch closings–in southeastern Texas as of late Monday morning.“We’re in fairly constant contact with our credit unions in the gulf area,” said Jon Gorman, senior vice president of communications and outreach of the Cornerstone Credit Union League. “We’re continually reassessing what is going on down there, and have a disaster response team in place and actively delivering support the credit unions affected by this disaster.”Gorman said travel is the one of the biggest issues for many credit union employees with regard to assessing Harvey’s impact on credit union operations. “Anecdotally, we’ve heard employees can’t get to their credit unions because of the flooding, or they can’t get out of their neighborhoods because of the flooding.”last_img read more

Gojek lays off 430 employees amid pandemic impact

first_imgIndonesian ride-hailing decacorn Gojek announced on Tuesday evening that it would lay off 430 employees, around 9 percent of its total workforce, as the COVID-19 pandemic has battered demand for its lifestyle services.The layoff follows the company’s plan to close down its lifestyle division GoLife, which includes massage and cleaning services, as well as its food court division GoFood Festival, as both saw “significant decrease in demand” during the pandemic, according to the company’s press statement. Gojek, which currently operates in five countries in Southeast Asia, will instead focus on its core business, namely its ride-hailing service, food delivery and e-payment solutions, downsizing its overall structure as part of the company’s long-term plan to adapt to the pandemic.“The biggest challenge is the remaining uncertainties in the future, and the hurtful fact is that this will forever change the way we operate our business and the products we offer,” the CEO duo of Andre Soelistyo and Kevin Aluwi said in a joint statement on Tuesday. “We have to respond to what’s out there and increase our focus to build a strong, more efficient business to survive.”The CEOs said this would be the only employee reduction Gojek would make amid the pandemic, and the laid-off employees would receive severance pay, an equity arrangement and an outplacement program.The social restrictions imposed in multiple regions in Indonesia to contain the virus have battered the ride-hailing industry and the gig economy, as people stay at home to avoid person-to-person contact. Going forward, the company plans to develop its logistics service, which grew by 80 percent, as well as its online grocery sector, which had doubled its transactions since the beginning of the COVID-19 outbreak.Previously, Gojek reported that its groceries, food and package delivery services were still growing amid the pandemic, despite the steep blow to its passenger transportation business.In April, the company’s senior management cut their salaries to allocate more than Rp 100 billion (US7.09 million) to help drivers and employees cope with low demand during the COVID-19 pandemic.“We have done all of the measures to optimize the company to continue growing and giving impacts,” Andre stated in a note to the company’s employees.Recently, Gojek’s e-wallet GoPay received an undisclosed amount of investment from Facebook and PayPal in a new round of funding.Gojek’s announcement on the layoff comes just one week after its Southeast Asia ride-hailing rival Grab announced a regionwide layoff of about 5 percent of its employees, citing “the stark impact of COVID-19.”Topics :last_img read more

Wood scores Hammerfest LNG development gig

first_imgUK-based services provider Wood said it has provided technical support for Equinor’s LNG facility at Melkøya Island, Norway, as part of a new contract secured under an existing master services agreement.Hammerfest liquefaction plant and uses gas from the Snøhvit development in the Barents Sea to produce 4.3 million tonnes per annum of LNG.As part of the scope of work, Wood’s process technology & consulting team carried out a study phase assessment of onshore compression, additional LNG processing capacity and electrification of the facility.The study looked at the use of modular applications in brownfield environments to ensure a balance between safety, layout, construction and process constraints, the company said in a statement.Earlier this year, Equinor and its partners and its partners sanctioned a 5 billion Norwegian Krones ($643 million) investment in the development of the Snøhvit field in the Barents Sea, to feed the facility and maintain plateau production until 2023.The development of Askeladd, which will supply 21 billion cubic meters of gas and two million cubic meters of condensate to Hammerfest LNG, is the part two of the multi-phased Snøhvit development, Equinor said in an earlier statement.last_img read more

Batesville Kiwanis make YMCA donation

first_imgTara Britton from the YMCA (L), Kiwanis Club president Rita Seig(R). Batesville, In. — The members of the Batesville Kiwanis Club made a $500 donation to the Southeastern Indiana YMCA Tuesday.The donation was unanimously supported by the citing the YMCA local mission to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body, for all.last_img

Chelsea complete £37m Ziyech deal

first_imgRelatedPosts Lampard: I still have confidence in Tomori Mane double eases Liverpool to win over 10-man Chelsea EPL: Son fires four past Southampton Chelsea have completed the £37million signing of Ajax winger Hakim Ziyech. The Dutch-born Morocco international is Frank Lampard’s first signing as manager. The Stamford Bridge club saw an offer for the 26-year old rejected in January but continued negotiations amid increasing competition from rival clubs. Ajax confirmed his departure, which will be completed in the summer in a tweet, saying: “Hey @ChelseaFC, you have to believe in his magic. And great things will happen,” along with a short video of his best bits for the club. Ziyech had a £25 million release clause last summer but that was eradicated when he agreed an improved contract while Ajax wanted him to see out this season. Ziyech was rewarded after a stand out year that saw Ajax narrowly miss out on the Champions League final in May. They lost to Tottenham in the semi-final but Ziyech’s performances underlined his creative talent. He was excellent once again during Chelsea’s 4-4 draw with Ajax in the Champions League in November. He has scored nine goals across 28 Dutch Eredivise and Champions League games combined this season. Ziyech first moved to Ajax from FC Twente in 2016 and has scored 47 times in 157 appearances, helping the Amsterdam giants reclaim the league title last season. Frank Lampard was keen to strengthen Chelsea’s options with Willian and Pedro out of contract in the summer and expected to leave.Tags: Ajax AmsterdamChelseaFC TwenteFrank LampardHakim ZiyechTottenham Hotspurlast_img read more

Premier League: Sadio Mane, De Bruyne shortlisted for Player of the Season award

first_img Source: Sky Sports Liverpool trio Jordan Henderson, Sadio Mane and Trent Alexander-Arnold are among the seven nominees for the 2019/20 Premier League Player of the Season award.Henderson captained Liverpool to their first Premier League title and has already won the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year prize.Mane once again proved himself to be a hugely reliable provider of both goals and assists for Jurgen Klopp’s side, recording 18 and seven respectively.Alexander-Arnold – who is the only nominee to also be on the Young Player of the Year shortlist – was instrumental in Liverpool’s campaign and recorded 13 assists, second only to Kevin De Bruyne.De Bruyne is the only Manchester City player to be nominated for the Player of the Season award after they relinquished their Premier League title to Liverpool following two seasons as championsGolden Boot winner Jamie Vardy also makes the shortlist after his 23 goals helped Leicester to fifth place – their second-highest Premier League finish.Southampton striker Danny Ings missed out on sharing the Golden Boot with Vardy by just one goal, but could beat his fellow English striker to the Player of the Season award after also receiving a nomination.The final nominee is Nick Pope, who played in every minute of Burnley’s Premier League season and earned 15 clean sheets – second only to Golden Glove winner Ederson.The nominations for the Premier League Manager of the Season shortlist will be released at midday. The winners of the awards will be announced on Thursday, August 13.last_img read more

Kobe Bryant aggravates sore right shoulder in Lakers’ 96-80 loss to New Orleans Pelicans

first_imgNEW ORLEANS >> It seemed rare to see. Kobe Bryant stood here on the court performing nifty crossovers, canning mid-range jumpers and even throwing down a dunk.But then concerns emerged yet again about Bryant’s health. So much that the focus on the Lakers’ 96-80 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans on Wednesday at Smoothie King Center went beyond Bryant’s 14 points on 6-of-14 shooting, seven rebounds, two assists and three turnovers in 30 minutes. The talk also glossed over the Lakers (12-31) extending a season-worst losing streak to six games as Pelicans forward Anthony Davis posted a team-high 29 points on 11-of-18 shooting and eight rebounds. The buzz over actor Will Ferrell filming a segment at halftime in which he threw a basketball at a cheerleader became an afterthought. Bryant aggravated a sore right shoulder he said he has nursed for a while after his dunk over New Orleans’ Dante Cunningham tied the game 59-59 with 4:34 left in the third quarter. After icing his shoulder on the bench as the Lakers fell behind by double digits, Bryant entered with five minutes remaining and handled the ball and took shots mostly using only his left arm. Bryant then went to the locker room with 1:09 remaining for treatment. He will take an MRI today to determine his availability for Friday’s game in San Antonio. “I don’t know if he (Bryant) thought if he would be that limited,” said Lakers coach Byron Scott after talking with head athletic trainer Gary Vitti. “I thought when he went back out, he could play. He always says he has two arms, so you don’t necessarily have to use one all the time. After I saw him shoot it a couple of times and bring it up the court, that pretty much let me know it was sore.”Although he did not know if he will play against the Spurs and called his shoulder “a little achy,” Bryant downplayed the injury.“I feel fine,” said Bryant, who noted he has played with past shoulder injuries. The reality is I’m doing a lot of phenomenal things in 30 minutes. My body is not that (messed) up.”So much that Bryant said he could exceed the conservative approach Scott has taken recently. Bryant has missed eight of the past 15 games, has sat out on back-to-backs and has not exceeded 32 minutes. “I could play every game,” Bryant said. “It’s just Byron’s calls on what he wants to do. Some games he wants me to rest and some games he wants me to play. I’m good either way.”Scott said Bryant needs at least 10-15 more games playing between 30-32 minutes and occasionally resting before catching up from the heavy workload Scott piled on his star player. “Unless we want him to play the remainder 40 games and wear himself out. That’s definitely not in our plans,” Scott said. “It’s something we have to live with. That’s something he has to live with as well. Right now that’s something he’s more than willing to do that just to make sure we preserve him.”But Bryant downplayed what he thinks that approach might do for him should he play next season in the final year of his contract that will pay him $25 million.“It’s my job to be ready every night,” Bryant said. “I just try to do my part, make sure I get the rest, make sure I stretch, make sure I do strength training. Just try to be ready every single night. Whatever call he (Scott) makes, he makes. But it’s my job to be ready.”center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Mourinho backs Pogba to cope with father’s death

first_img“You will have the two goalkeepers, Joel Pereira and Kieran O’Hara,” said Mourinho.“We will have Demi Mitchell, Scott McTominay, Josh Harrop, Matty Willock, Angel Gomes and Zachary Dearnley. I think that’s it. Plus Tim Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe, so lots of them.“I think one young player can play in the middle of a good structure, a dynamic structure, an experienced structure, yes. But as for lots of them together, I think no.”Crystal Palace avoided a nerve-ridden final day of the season by beating Hull last weekend to guarantee their place in next season’s Premier League.Palace manager Sam Allardyce insists, though, that his side has no shortage of incentives at Old Trafford.The Eagles could finish anywhere between 16th and 11th which could make a difference of up to £10 million in prize money to the club and Allardyce knows that will have an impact on his transfer spending.“The budget will get bigger if we can go up a couple of places,” Allardyce said.“The chairman has pointed that out to me like every chairman I’ve worked for.“So the higher you can finish in the league, the bigger and better the prize money so if we can get a result at Old Trafford, then that will be fantastic.“It’s pretty significant isn’t it? For the players as well because they’ve got good bonuses for the position they finish in the league so they are well aware of what it means.” Share on: WhatsApp Manchester, United Kingdom | AFP | Jose Mourinho has praised Paul Pogba for his response to his father’s death as he prepares to recall him for Manchester United’s final Premier League game of the campaign.Mourinho has promised to make sweeping changes for Sunday’s fixture against Crystal Palace, ahead of United’s Europa League final date with Dutch side Ajax in Stockholm on Wednesday.But the United manager has confirmed the world’s most expensive footballer will be in the starting line-up despite the death of his father this week.“Paul Pogba is fine,” Mourinho said. “A strong guy, strong mentality. He’s learning how to live after his father passed away, but he is strong.“He knows that he needs to play on Sunday because he hasn’t played or trained for a long time and he needs these minutes on the pitch, so he plays against Palace.”Pogba has not appeared for United since helping them reach the Europa League final in a home draw with Celta Vigo 10 days ago and Mourinho clearly feels the French midfielder needs to play after attending to his family tragedy.Belgian midfielder Marouane Fellaini, who injured his hamstring in the midweek draw at Southampton, is not expected to play as he battles to be fit.And defender Chris Smalling will also be rested against Palace to ensure he recovers from a minor muscular problem in time to face Ajax.Mourinho has also called up promising young defender Tim Fosu-Mensah, who has not played since injuring his shoulder in the Manchester derby at the end of last month.“Chris Smalling has a problem, but a small problem that I think is no problem at all for next week,” said Mourinho.“It’s a problem for the weekend but not for the final. Marouane Fellaini is the question mark; we wait for today’s scans, we decided not to do it yesterday. Again, his feelings aren’t bad, but let’s wait.“Tim Fosu-Mensah plays on Sunday and, if the reaction is good, and if he manages to play the game without problems, he’s a new option for us for the final.”– Dynamic –However, Fosu-Mensah, 19, will not be the only youngster involved in the squad on Sunday, with Mourinho even calling up 16-year-old midfielder Angel Gomes, who was named as the club’s Youth Player of the Year this week, among a long list of untried talent.last_img read more

Uganda Cranes back, Museveni to host them Monday

first_imgIn the Group stage Uganda Cranes beat the Democratic Republic of Congo 2-0 before settling for a 1-all draw against Zimbabwe. The team went on to fall 2-0 to hosts in the last Group A match to finish second in the group and make it to the Round of 16.But before the game against Senegal the players staged a sit-down strike over pay. FUFA later announced that they will reward every player with US$6,000 (Shs22 million) for qualification for the Round of 16. Museveni meets Cranes earlier. PHOTO PPUEntebbe, Uganda | THE INDEPENDENT | President Yoweri Museveni will host Uganda Cranes Monday, after a bitter-sweet 2019 AFCON tournament in Egypt.Uganda reached the knockout stage for the first time since 1978, but a players’ strike, and the resignation of coach Sebastian Desabre have clouded what was supposed to be a great performance by the Cranes.Several players are already back, while others arrive Monday morning, in time for the afternoon meet with President Museveni, soccer governing body FUFA said in a statement.The Cranes fell out 1-0 to Senegal in the Round of 16 in a match played at the Cairo International Stadium on Friday. Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

CNN’s Chris Cuomo Loses his Mind after being called “Fredo,” Trump Weighs in

first_imgCNN says Cuomo was targeted in an orchestrated setup and defended himself when attacked. President Trump is weighing in after CNN anchor Chris Cuomo got into a heated and f-bomb-laced exchange with a man who called him “Fredo.”The reference is to Fredo Corleone, the dim-witted, cowardly middle brother in “The Godfather.”In the video, the “Cuomo Prime Time” host threatens a man who called him “Fredo,” which Cuomo said was like the N-word for Italians.Cuomo threatened to throw the man down the stairs like a punk, among other colorful and off-color phrases and threats. This morning, Trump tweeted, “I thought Chris was Fredo also. The truth hurts. Totally lost it! Low ratings @CNN.” last_img read more