Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The Wisconsin football team has bounced back in a big way after falling to Alabama in their season opener, dominating Miami (Ohio) in a 58-0 victory. Now, here are three questions to consider as UW looks to continue to build up momentum against Troy Saturday.Can the Wisconsin backfield improve on their strong second-half performance against Miami (Ohio)?At the conclusion of the first half of last week’s game against Miami (Ohio), UW tailbacks Dare Ogunbowale and Taiwan Deal combined for a total of just 54 yards on 18 carries.But the running backs put the poor performance behind them and stepped up as the game rolled into the second half. By game’s end, Ogunbowale and Deal had a combined 30 carries and a grand total of 157 yards on the ground, with third-string running back Caleb Kinlaw accumulating 30 yards on seven carries of his own.With would-be starting running back Corey Clement officially ruled out until the Big Ten opener against Iowa, it will be Ogunbowale’s backfield for the next couple of games with Deal filling in on short yardage situations. If Wisconsin wishes to maintain a balanced offensive attack, they will need to produce on the ground like they did in that second half.Will the Badgers’ offensive attack continue to move through the air rather than on the ground?While the team is attempting to remain balanced, they’ve still managed to be a pass-heavy offense through the first two games. That has been circumstantial given Clement’s status and the questions that continue to surround the offensive line — and UW has still been very effective throwing the ball.Through their first two outings of the season, starting quarterback Joel Stave has thrown 69 passes for a total 491 yards, while UW has totaled just 228 yards on the ground. While these numbers do stray away from the typical ground and pound style of a Badgers offense, it hasn’t affected the offensive rhythm of the team, and Stave has looked sharper than he ever has.If they get a big lead against a lesser opponent in Troy, Wisconsin may let their ground game go to work in an attempt to milk the clock. But expect the UW offense to come out firing through the air to start, hoping to remain productive as a unit.Can UW’s defense continue to force timely turnovers?Against Miami (Ohio), the Wisconsin defense and special teams forced a total of four turnovers, with Leo Musso intercepting two passes, Tanner McEvoy picking off one and cornerback Sojourn Shelton forcing a fumble on a Miami punt in the first quarter.Turnovers are something defensive coordinator David Aranda emphasized coming into this season. A game in which the defense forced four turnovers is a great performance to build on.Takeaways not only make the offense’s job easier, but they also cause huge shifts in momentum, so look for Aranda’s defensive unit to continue the aggressive play, especially against a weaker non-conference opponent.
“It is with disappointment that the detailed review has concluded that there is a significant departure from the undertakings provided in Durban’s bid and as a result a number of key obligations and commitments in areas such as governance, venues, funding and risk management/assurance have not been met under the revised proposition,” the statement added.Durban was named as the 2022 Games host in September 2015 but Mbalula said in February that the South African government and the CGF had still to reach agreement over costs.“It does not look like we will find each other,” said Mbalula. “We have given it our best shot, but we cannot live beyond our means.”According to authorities, a budget of 6.4 billion rand ($492 million, 465 million euros) has already been set aside for the Games, in a country battling high unemployment and poor growth.– ‘Millions of rands wasted’ –Before the CGF issued its own statement, there was an angry response from South Africa’s main opposition party which slammed the “millions of rand” already “wasted” on a bid where “good money has been thrown after a bad idea” by the country’s governing African National Congress.Zwakele Mncwango, the provincial leader of the Democratic Alliance (DA) party in the Kwa-Zulu Natal region that encompasses Durban, said: “This is a devastating blow to our city, and our people, who can only stand by and watch as millions of rands that could have improved our communities, delivered houses, improved services and created jobs have been wasted by the ANC government.”Both the 1995 rugby World Cup and the 2010 football World Cup in South Africa are seen as milestones in the country’s efforts to promote national unity since the apartheid era.The Commonwealth Games is restricted to countries that are members of the Commonwealth, a collection of nations that were mainly once part of the British Empire and whose titular head is Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II,It was known as the British Empire Games when first staged in 1930.Monday’s announcement came as the Queen sent the Commonwealth Games baton off from Buckingham Palace on a relay that will see it visit every member nation ahead of the 2018 edition on Australia’s Gold Coast. Share on: WhatsApp The Queen is joined by The Duke of Edinburgh and The Earl of Wessex to launch the Baton RelayLondon, United Kingdom | AFP | Commonwealth Games chiefs said Monday they were looking for a new venue for the 2022 edition after announcing scheduled hosts Durban had failed to meet “key obligations”.Last month, South Africa sports minister Fikile Mbalula indicated the government might withdraw its financial support because of the cost of staging the multi-sport event, saying “we cannot live beyond our means”.Following a meeting in London, Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) president Louise Martin said Monday: “The CGF is actively exploring alternative options, including a potential replacement host.”The mayor of Liverpool said last month the northwest English city would be prepared to host the 2022 Games if they were no longer in Durban.Confirmation that the Games would not be staged in Durban came from South Africa Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASOC) president Gideon Sam.In an interview with South Africa’s eNCA TV news from London, he said: “Durban did not withdraw..,“The CGF gave the country certain conditions… we were supposed to 1) sign a contract agreement, 2) have an LOC (local organising committee) in place, 3) have a CEO (chief executive officer) appointed.“At the (CGF) executive meeting on Saturday they decided that it is not forthcoming and they need to move on and find another city.”Durban 2022 would have been the first edition of the Commonealth Games held in Africa.“The CGF will continue to have an open dialogue with the SASOC and the Republic of South Africa and remains committed to realising the shared ambitions of a future Commonwealth Games in Africa,” Martin added.“The CGF is fully confident and committed to delivering a successful Commonwealth Games for athletes and fans in 2022.”– ‘Significant departure’ –The CGF said they had completed their review of the “final information” submitted by South Africa on November 30 to determine whether their proposals for hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games honoured their original commitments.
Coach Steve Komphela, whose three-year reign coincided with the trophy-less spell, quit last month after an FA Cup semi-loss defeat triggered crowd violence.His predecessor, England-born Stuart Baxter, won two league titles in three seasons and now coaches the South African national team.Malawian Patrick Mabedi was named caretaker coach and former Chelsea and West Ham United manager Avram Grant is among those linked with the position.The only bright spot for Chiefs was qualification for the 2019 CAF Confederation Cup after finishing third in the league behind champions Mamelodi Sundowns and Orlando Pirates.Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Kaizer Chiefs playersJohannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Famed South African football club Kaizer Chiefs have scrapped their end-of-season awards function for the first time after a disastrous 2017/2018 campaign.The Soweto club failed to win any of the four league and cup competitions that comprise the season in the republic.It was the third consecutive season in which Chiefs, formed in 1970 and the most popular and successful South African football club, have failed to lift a trophy.“Our decision to scrap the awards ceremony was influenced by displeasure with the performances of the team,” explained club chairman and former Chiefs star Kaizer Motaung.“This season was marked by unusual events, one of which was seeing the club go a third year without lifting a major trophy.”
Tomorrow is the deadline to request a mail in ballot in Palm Beach County.The deadline to request that a Vote-by-Mail ballot be mailed to you for the August 18, 2020 Primary Election is no later than 5:00 p.m. on August 8, 2020 (§101.62, F.S.). If you miss the deadline, you can visit one of our offices and we will print a mail ballot for you. Or you can vote in person during Early Voting or on Election Day. Also, starting tomorrow, all Florida counties will offer early voting for the primary and COVID-19 is having an impact. Palm Beach County already began early voting last week. Go to the Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections website for all the information you need about the upcoming Primary and General Elections.Supervisor of Elections Supervisor for Palm Beach County Wendy Sartore Link told the South Florida Morning Show that the new, high-speed ballot counting machines have already tabulated 125-thousand ballots and will have counted everything that comes; therefore, in providing results on the day of the election.Listen to the full interview here.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Wendy-Sartory-Link-Interview-8-7-20.mp3
Photo by Bart Lentini |HIGHLANDS – Bike riders of all ages and abilities enjoyed the perfect weather Sunday, Sept. 30 for the 17th Annual Twin Lights Ride, named after the famous lighthouse near Huddy Park where the event begins and ends. Cyclists could choose from five different routes of varying length, from 15 to 100 miles. The 15-mile route wound through Sandy Hook while the 100-mile route took riders along the Jersey Shore, through Colts Neck and Farmingdale, south to Brielle, west to Turkey Swamp Wildlife Area near Freehold and back east through Middletown. Rest areas along the routes offered riders a chance to fill up their water bottles and refuel with complimentary snacks and refreshments. Local restaurants served up food to hungry cyclists at the Finish Festival.This article was first published in the Oct. 4-10, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.