Fire at Central Java gas facility cuts off supply to power plant, homes

first_imgState-owned oil and gas company Pertamina’s Gundih central processing plant (CPP) in Blora, Central Java, was deactivated on Thursday afternoon, cutting the gas supply to a nearby power plant and thousands of households, after a fire broke out earlier in the day.The fire began at about 9:30 a.m. when a disruption in the facility’s thermal oxidizer, which is used to control gas emissions, created sparks that ignited the fuel.Pertamina subsidiary PT Pertamina EP, which operates the Gundih plant, said in a statement that the fire was put out at about 10:45 a.m. and that no deaths had occurred. Read also: To your doorstep: Pertamina launches gas, fuel delivery service amid pandemic“The gas well has been shut down for stabilization. All employees within Gundih CCP have been evacuated. Two fire trucks, an ambulance and paramedics are on standby at the location,” said Pertamina EP’s general manager for the facility, Agus Amperianto.The shutdown of the Gundih facility, which has an output of 50 million metric standard cubic feet per day (mmscfd), has cut the fuel supply to the 1,000 megawatt Tambak Lorok combined-cycle power plant as well as 5,800 homes in East and Central Java.Despite the cut-off supply, a representative from the power plant’s operator, state-owned electricity company PLN, said the region’s electricity supply was “very safe” because regional peak electricity consumption had fallen 11.2 percent over the past two weeks due to COVID-19 restrictions. “So even if Tambak Lorok is non-operational, the system is safe because our supplies are very safe,” said PLN Java, Madura and Bali business director Haryanto.The electricity company has a Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) reserve supply on standby that “will only be used, if needed, until Pertamina’s supply returns,” he added.Read also: Pertamina secures fuel and household gas supply as more people stay homeState-owned gas distributor PGN, which operates household gas pipe networks in Central and East Java, said the company would mobilize its CNG supply from the latter province to aid affected households.PGN said in a statement that it channeled gas from the Gundih plant to 4,000 homes in Blora and 1,800 homes in Semarang, Central Java. Each customer in the former category consumed, on average, 1,300 cubic meters of gas per day, while those in the latter category used an average of 300 cubic meters daily. The gas is mostly used for cooking.“PGN’s Blora and Semarang household customers have not been affected yet. Stoves are still on as there is still piped gas supply,” said PGN corporate secretary Rachmat Hutama.Topics :last_img read more

Possible shooting being investigated in Jefferson County

first_imgDupont, IN—According to  Jefferson County Sherriff David W. Thomas, Tuesday evening Jefferson County Central Dispatch received reports of an altercation where a firearm was alleged to have been discharged on West Main Street in Dupont. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to investigate the incident.No individuals were injured during the altercation nor was there any property damaged or reported in the area. The scene was processed by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and evidence was collected at two locations. The investigation is still currently active. Madison Police Department assisted with the investigation near the County/City line where an individual possibly involved in the matter was located and interrogated.Anyone with information related to this investigation should contact Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office at 812-265-2648 and request to speak with an on-duty deputy.last_img read more

FIFA task force recommends pre-Christmas winter World Cup in 2022

first_imgA FIFA task force has recommended that the 2022 World Cup of soccer be held in the winter. A final decision is to be taken at a meeting of FIFA’s executive committee next month.The recommendation announced by the task force on Tuesday, was expected to meet major resistance from Europe’s major professional soccer leagues, including Germany’s Bundesliga, the English Premier League, and Spain’s La Liga, as it would cause major disruption to their domestic seasons.Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al-Khalifa, the head of the Asian Football Confederation told reporters in Doha, where the task force met, that all options would be reviewed at next month’s meeting of FIFA’s executive committee in Zurich.”Some people have concerns, but whatever decision you’re going to take will have some questions about it,” Sheikh Salman said.”But… we need to look at the overall benefit of everybody.”He also said that the task force had proposed shortening the length of the tournament by a few days, but that there were no plans to cut the number of games (64) or teams (32) involved in the tournament.Qatar won the right to host the 2022 World Cup based on the assumption that it would take place in June and July as is traditionally the case, but objections were quickly raised from various quarters, warning that high summer temperatures could be extremely uncomfortable for supporters and potentially dangerous to the health of the players. The entire bidding process for the 2022 World Cup, as well as the 2018 edition of the tournament, which was won by Russia, has also been the subject of much controversy.last_img read more