St Lucians confident ahead of Caribbean Schoolboys and Juniors Boxing Championships

first_imgTHE St Lucian five-man contingent that arrived here in Guyana for the second edition of the Caribbean Schoolboys and Juniors boxing championships, which gets underway tonight at the National Gymnasium, Mandela Avenue, expressed confidence of doing well at the Caribbean championships.This much was disclosed by the St Lucia Boxing Association’s coach, Conrad Hunte, as well as the association’s president, David `Shakes’ Christopher.The three-day event which concludes on Sunday will see boxers from St Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Suriname, Barbados and Guyana matching gloves each of the three nights and according to coach of the St Lucia contingent, the team spirit is very high and, he, being a Guyanese by birth and having been a local (Guyana) amateur champion some years ago, he knows what to expect from the Guyanese boxers and have trained his charges with the requisite technical and tactical aspects to counter the Guyanese.Meanwhile, Christopher, the Island’s association president said his team is well prepared and ready to do battle with not only the Guyanese, but all of the other countries that will be participating.The St Lucia team is made up of Nathan Ferrari who was declared Best Boxer at the inaugural event here in Guyana last year and was named St Lucia’s Best Boxer for the year, Kareem Boyce, Kimlyn Martie, and Jwevel Martie.Julie Bonnet who recently received an AIBA One Star Referee/Judge badge as well as Christopher will also be accompanying the team.During last month, St. Lucia defeated Grenada to win the Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) invitational championships after which the Island sent a team to Guadeloupe for an international tournament and based on the results, Christopher said his team is well prepared and raring to go.Meanwhile, Jamaica Boxing Board has named Joshua Forrest Davidson (69Kg) and Daniel Hylton (60kg) with Robert Napier (coach) as their representatives.Hylton would be on his third trip to Guyana, having fought here in 2015 when he contested the first Caribbean Development tournament at the Cliff Anderson Sports Hall and the following year (2016) he participated in the inaugural Caribbean Schoolboys and Juniors tournament.Trinidad and Tobago will field and eight-member team and their association’s president, Cecil Forde is beaming with confidence.The team includes Abdul Taylor, Tyrique Hosien, Blessing Waldropt, Denzil Massy, Meshack Thomas, Nyrell Hosien, Juan Rodriguez and Edwin Felix.The event which is the brainchild of Guyana Boxing Association’s (GBA) president Steve Ninvalle will this year see a rise in the number of countries participating in this the second edition of the tournament. Last year only three countries (Guyana, St Lucia and Suriname) participated.According to Ninvalle, all plans are well in place and fight fans can expect three entertaining nights of boxing.last_img

Boost for Chelsea and Man City? Messi admits Barcelona future is far from certain

first_img1 Lionel Messi has dropped the biggest hint yet that he may leave Barcelona.The Argentine star has been linked with a move to Chelsea and Manchester City in recent weeks, after reportedly falling out with current Nou Camp chief Luis Enrique.Messi, 27, rubbished those rumours on Sunday, calling any talk of a move ‘lies’, and insisted he did not want to leave the La Liga giants.But, speaking at the FIFA Ballon d’Or gala, the former Newell’s Old Boys striker claimed he was unsure where is future lay.“I’m not sure what’s going to happen, whether I’ll go back to Newell’s,” he said in response to a question about whether he might return to Argentina at some point in his career.“I’m not sure where I will be next year. In the football world so many things can change overnight.“I’ve always said I will end my career at Barcelona, but as Cristiano [Ronaldo] says only God knows the future.” Lionel Messi in action for Barcelona last_img read more