Motorized Caravan for the Release of Kidnapping Victims in Colombia Arrives in Europe

first_imgBy Dialogo September 25, 2009 Madrid, 23 September (EFE).- The motorized caravan for the release of kidnapping victims in Colombia, in which former FARC hostages and their relatives are participating, in addition to volunteers, will cross the Atlantic in order to visit cities in Spain, France, and Italy over the course of eighteen days, prior to arriving at the Vatican to receive a papal blessing. This activity has already taken place in Colombia, with 32,000 people participating, and is coming to Europe because, following “the liberation of Ingrid Betancourt and the Americans in Operation Jacque, those who are still kidnapped there have been forgotten,” the promoter of the action, Herbin Hoyos, maintained today in a press conference in Madrid. “And there is nothing crueler than that, because when the international community is present and paying attention, the authors of the conflicts take care not to engage in ill-treatment or fall into the worst degradation,” added the Colombian reporter, internationally recognized for his radio program “The Voices of Kidnapping.” Hoyos said that the caravan came into being when he saw what was being done by the police who are members of the association “Fraternity of the Disabled” (Frapón) in Colombia, who despite having been mutilated and being in wheelchairs, go out on the roads of their country to call for “the liberty of their kidnapped colleagues.” “If these men who go as far as injuring their hands moving their wheelchairs do this, why can’t we do it, who can use motorcycles,” reflected the reporter, who has for sixteen years provided the only space on the radio that allows the FARC’s hostages to receive news of their families. The caravan, which will leave Bogotá on 3 November and will arrive in Madrid by air, will cover 5,200 kilometers and will be made up of a hundred persons coming from Colombia, among them former hostages of the FARC “like the Vallejo sisters, who are the latest to be freed, and some of those freed in Operation Jacque,” Hoyos announced. On the 6th, the mayor of the Spanish city of Valencia, Rita Barberá, will welcome the caravan, which may take a spin on the Cheste track, used for speed tests. The group will arrive in Barcelona a day later and will then travel to Paris, where its members will be welcomed on Monday the 9th by French president Nicolas Sarkozy and the mayor of the “City of Light,” Bertrand Delanoe. The French localities of Lyons and Marseilles and the Italian localities of Genoa and Florence will be the final stops before the caravan arrives in Rome, where on Sunday the 15th the group will be in St Peter’s Square to await Benedict XVI’s blessing at noon. “We are working to have the Pope come down to give us a blessing close at hand,” Hoyos announced. The organizers have made arrangements with a variety of civil-society groups so that any volunteer who takes up the cause in the cities through which the caravan passes may join in the journey.last_img read more

Phivolcs bats for template of quake-resistant houses

first_imgThe three October quakes had a combineddeath toll of 29 and damaged some 36,000 structures, according to a report bythe national disaster council.  MANILA – Local governments and engineersshould give the public templates of houses that can withstand earthquakes,state seismology office Phivolcs said after a string of deadly quakes destroyedthousands of structures in Mindanao.  Structures that followed the BuildingCode should have withstood intensity 8 shaking, a notch higher than theintensity 7 shaking generated by last month’s quakes, noted Phivolcs DirectorRenato Solidum.  Many residents, however, cannot affordto pay engineers to ensure that their homes follow the Building code, hesaid. center_img “Bakanaman puwede na ang local government patimga professional engineering society at DPWH, gumawa ng mga disenyo ng mga ordinaryong bahay na mapagpipilian ngating mga kababayan, na may kasamang listahan ng mga materyales,” Solidumtold radio DZMM.  “Parasa mga di maka-afford ngengineers, gagayahin na lang nila iyongdesign na iyon at masgurado po tayongmagiging mas matibay,” he added. (ABS-CBNNews/PN)last_img read more

Mourinho desperate to sign striker

first_imgJose Mourinho believes Chelsea’s incoming ‘killer’ striker will open the floodgates after another missed opportunity put paid to the Blues’ Premier League title hopes. Mourinho has long lamented his toiling strikers’ troubles in front of goal and indicated his desire to land a prolific goalscorer next term, with Atletico Madrid’s Diego Costa reportedly the number one target and the possibility of Fernando Torres returning to his former club in part-exchange. As well as helping Chelsea match their formidable record against the Premier League’s elite, the new forward will be expected to rough up also-rans like Norwich, whose 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge on Sunday saw the Blues concede further ground to Manchester City and Liverpool. “Against the teams that are more defensive, more aggressive, more worried about trying to keep a clean sheet than really to play, we keep saying the same,” Mourinho told Chelsea TV. “We have good players, but we don’t have the kind of striker able to, in a short space, to make an action, to score a goal, to open the gate. “In these kind of matches you just need to open the gate. When you open the gate, the gate is open and you go (and) win (by) much more. We weren’t able to do that. “We have to try to win as a team, to improve as a team, but also add the attacking player with that killer instinct and the number of goals that push teams to different levels. “It’s something our club is going to try (to do), respecting obviously that we have good strikers.” The futures of captain John Terry, England left-back Ashley Cole and record goalscorer Frank Lampard – all out of contract imminently – are still to be clarified after the final home match of the campaign, which concludes at Cardiff next Sunday. The Blues beat Manchester City twice, Liverpool twice, took four points from matches against each of Arsenal, Everton, Tottenham and Manchester United, but recent defeats to Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Sunderland and the draw with Norwich have proved costly. “It’s much more difficult to get results against the big teams,” Mourinho added. “Mentally you have to be stronger, by the strategic point of view you have to be stronger too. “When we have that amazing record against the top teams, I think it’s a fantastic achievement and a good base to start next season.” Chelsea’s home record reads played 19, won 15, drawn three and lost one, the controversial defeat to Sunderland which saw Mourinho relinquish his 77-match unbeaten league record at home. “If you forget the Sunderland festival, because for me it was not a football game, it was a festival, the (home) record was good,” Mourinho said. “We lost six points at home, with three draws, which is still a good record. “The matches with the top teams the record is really amazing, difficult to repeat next season even if, like we expect, we are stronger.” Norwich midfielder Jonny Howson knows their top-flight status can be ended if Sunderland beat West Brom on Wednesday night. Even a draw for Sunderland, who are two points above Norwich, would all-but consign the Norfolk club to relegation as they have such an inferior goal difference that a win at home to Arsenal next Sunday would be immaterial. “It’s out of our hands now and hopefully we get a little bit of luck,” Howson said. “The ball’s back in Sunderland’s court. We need a little bit of luck from West Brom to take it to the last day of the season. “Just two wins away all season. You’re going to go nowhere with that kind of form. “We’re pleased with the performance, but it’s frustrating: why couldn’t we have done that more often?” Press Associationlast_img read more

Salvador Jaramillo, 82, Wellington: Nov. 17, 1931 – Jan. 11, 2014

first_imgSalvador JaramilloSalvador G. Jaramillo, age 82, lifetime Wellington resident, died on Saturday, January 11, 2014 at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, KS.  He worked as an inspector/carman for the Santa Fe Railroad for nine years, as a sheet metal assembler for Boeing Aircraft for 15 years, and for the USD #353 for many years.Salvador G. Jaramillo was born November 17, 1931 to David Jaramillo and Eusebia (Ramirez) Jaramillo in Wellington, KS.  He was a Wellington High School graduate with the Class of 1950. He served in the United States Navy from 1953 to 1957.Salvador married Connie Negrete on October 8, 1960 at the Holy Name Catholic Church in Winfield, KS.  They recently celebrated 53 years of marriage.He was preceded in death by his parents; and two brothers, Jesse and Leo Jaramillo.He is survived by his loving wife, Connie of the home; two sons, Rick Jaramillo and Mark Jaramillo both of Wellington, KS; two brothers, Robert Jaramillo and Andrew Jaramillo both of Wichita, KS; three sisters, Irene Ybarra of Wellington, KS, Rosa Jaramillo of Wellington, KS and Carmen Jaramillo of Wichita, KS; and numerous nieces and nephews.Visitation will be at the funeral home on Thursday, January 16, 2014 from 1 to 5 p.m.Rosary will be held at St. Anthony and St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Wellington, KS on Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 7 p.m.Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Friday, January 17, 2014 at 10 a.m. at St. Anthony and St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church.  Father Dwight Birket and Father Andrew J. Seiler will officiate. Interment will follow the service at Prairie Lawn Cemetery in Wellington.A memorial has been established with the St. Anthony and St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church. Contributions can be left at or mailed to the funeral home.Frank Funeral Home has been entrusted with the arrangements.To leave condolences or sign our guest book, please visit our website at www.frankfuneralhome.netlast_img read more