Western Australia environmental regulator approves Asia-focused 9GW renewable energy export hub FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renew Economy:Plans for a massive renewable energy generation and export hub based in the Pilbara region of Western Australia have firmed up this week, after being recommended for approval by the state’s Environmental Protection Authority.Environmental approval for the 9GW Asian Renewable Energy Hub was recommended on Monday, subject to conditions including consultation on management plans with traditional landowners and managing and monitoring impacts on migratory birds.The project is one of a handful of truly massive proposed renewable energy investments, along with the 10GW solar plant and huge battery storage project initially backed by billionaires Mike Cannon-Brookes and Andrew Forrest in the Northern Territory.Approval for the massive Pilbara project, which includes up to 1,743 wind turbines (an estimated 7GW) and around 2,000MW (2GW) of solar panels about 220km east of Port Hedland, also covers the installation of four subsea power cables – part of the huge project’s plans to pipe green power to both Indonesia and Singapore.The consortium behind the project – which includes global wind turbine manufacturer Vestas, Australia’s CWP Renewables, Macquarie Group and Intercontinental Energy – had at one point aimed to develop 15GW of wind and solar, with a focus on powering local industry and exporting “green” hydrogen.[Sophie Vorrath]More: Massive Pilbara wind and solar export hub gets environmental green light
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Niko Kovac was heavily linked with Arsenal over the weekend (Picture: Getty)Niko Kovac’s entourage have played down rumours that the Croatian has held talks to become Arsenal manager.Arsenal have sounded out a number of candidates to replace interim head coach Freddie Ljungberg following Unai Emery’s sacking and Kovac emerged as a potential option over the weekend.According to Goal, Kovac’s representatives approached Arsenal to make their interest known and the 48-year-old was expected to attend the Gunners’ clash with West Ham on Monday night.Kovac, who left Bayern Munich by mutual consent back in November, has also been linked with Everton after being spotted at Goodison Park.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterMonday 9 Dec 2019 3:42 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link Comment Kovac left Bayern by mutual consent last month (Picture: Getty)However, a member of Kovac’s entourage has rubbished the recent speculation and insists the ex-Croatia manager is still on a break from football.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘This is absolute nonsense,’ the unnamed source told the German Press Agency.‘Niko has no interest at the moment, but wants to take a step back.’It’s understood Kovac has cancelled his planned trip to the London Stadium this evening.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityFormer Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has refused to rule out a move to Arsenal when asked about the vacant position at the Emirates.‘It’s important to have a moment of calm to lower the decibels and find the energy to take on a new project, and we’ll see where that is,’ the Argentine told TyC Sports.‘I’m going to spend a few days here [in Rosario] with my family and friends, and then I’ll return to London.’ Ljungberg is yet to experience a win as Arsenal caretaker manager (Picture: Getty)Brendan Rodgers was rumoured to be on Arsenal’s shortlist but the Northern Irishman signed a new deal with Leicester last week.On his decision to commit to Leicester, Rodgers explained: ‘When I made the decision to come to Leicester City, it was because I was excited about the direction the club was taking and how I could apply my experience to the journey.‘I came here with a purpose to add something to that and to help the club build for the future.More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves‘The support I have had from the chairman, Khun Top; from the chief executive, Susan Whelan; from the director of football, Jon Rudkin; and from everyone at the club has been amazing.‘I’ve inherited an outstanding team of staff that are dedicated to progress and improvement and we have a group of players that are a joy to work with every day.‘And to the club’s supporters, I can only say thank you for welcoming me and my staff into your club and for putting your faith in our work.‘We’ll continue to work together to bring success to Leicester city for many years to come.’MORE: Nicholas Pepe details changes made by Freddie Ljungberg at Arsenal since Unai Emery sacking Niko Kovac’s entourage rubbish rumours he wants to become Arsenal manager Advertisement