Friends of SDSU submit more than 100000 petition signatures to qualify SDSU

first_img Ashlie Rodriguez Updated: 11:59 AM January 16, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Friends of SDSU, SDCCU Stadium, SDSU West, SoccerCity FacebookTwitter ‘Friends of SDSU’ submit more than 100,000 petition signatures to qualify ‘SDSU West Initiative’ for a 2018 ballotcenter_img Ashlie Rodriguez, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — Backers of a proposed ballot initiative that would pave the way for San Diego State University to acquire the SDCCU Stadium property for campus expansion submitted more than 100,000 signed petitions to election officials Tuesday.Friends of SDSU submitted 106,134 voter signatures to the San Diego County Registrar of Voters, which now will begin verifying the signatures. To appear on the ballot, the group needs 71,646 verified signatures.“San Diegans have long called for an alternative that transforms the Mission Valley stadium site for the benefit of all residents. SDSU West officially answers that call today,” City Councilwoman Barbara Bry said.“SDSU West is the only plan for the site that will protect taxpayers, guarantee a permanent and public river park and open space and affirm San Diego’s identity as a hub for education and innovation.”If enough signatures are verified, the City Council will decide whether to adopt the initiative or place it before voters. A competing initiative, which would result in a soccer-centric commercial development, recently qualified and will go onto a 2018 ballot.If both SDSU West and SoccerCity are approved by voters, the one that receives the most votes would be adopted.Nick Stone, project manager for SoccerCity, said on Tuesday he was confident that his proposal has more support than SDSU West.“Signature gathering gauges the level of public enthusiasm. Given that it took the developers behind SDSU West nearly six times as long as SoccerCity to gather signatures, it’s clear that public support is with SoccerCity, in part because our plan will not require any taxpayer money,” Stone said.The SDSU West initiative would lead to the sale of the property to SDSU, which would be required to create a comprehensive development plan.The university has built to capacity in its current footprint, which means the proposal would allow SDSU to grow its academic, research and housing facilities to meet increased student demand that cannot be met at its current campus.School officials in the fall outlined their vision for the project, including 1.6 million square feet of classroom and research buildings, a river park and open space, 4,500 housing units, retail shops, a pair of hotels and a multi-use, 35,000-seat stadium for college football and other sports.SDSU Interim President Sally Roush and JMI Realty CEO John Kratzer said the project would be mostly funded by public-private partnerships, and wouldn’t rely on taxpayer financing. The main exception would be the stadium, which would be funded by bonds to be paid back by future revenues.The land is three trolley stops from the built-out main campus. Posted: January 16, 2018last_img read more

Terror threat for Indian cricket team Pak cricket board gets anonymous letter

first_imgTeam India sporting the special cap. Robert Cianflone/Getty ImagesThe Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has confirmed that it received a mail threatening terror attack on the Men in Blue, which was originally sent to the Pakistan Cricket Board. PCB received the anonymous mail last week saying the Indian cricket players, currently in West Indies, are under threat of an imminent terror attack. BCCI CEO Rahul Johri confirmed to TOI about the authenticity of the news and stated that it had threatened to kill the Indian cricketers. He mentioned said the home ministry was briefed and that the embassy in Antigua has also been informed. The Mumbai police has also been made aware of the information and security of the Indian squad has been beefed up.”We have briefed the home ministry and shared the email. The embassy in Antigua has also been contacted and briefed. The Mumbai police has also been informed and the security of the Indian team in the West Indies has been beefed up,”  Johri told TOI.It all started when an anonymous email came to the inbox of PCB’s official account on August 16  PCB forwarded the mail to the International Cricket Council (ICC). BCCI received the mail in due process which did not have any information of any terror group.  Jewel Samad/AFP/Getty ImagesThe ICC did not make any comments on the issue. A senior official of the PCB told TOI that he does not want to comment on safety and security issues. However, people who have read the email have informed TOI that it was fake as it mentions some random names. They further mentioned that it was a hoax and the Indian cricketers are probably under no threat.The Men in Blue are in West Indies for the upcoming two-match Test series against the Carribean nation. The first Test starts on August 22 in Antigua. Team India defeated the Windies 2-0 in the recently concluded three-match ODI series with brilliant performances from skipper Virat Kohli who scored two centuries. They also won the T20 series at the start of the tour 3-0 in a convincing manner.The forthcoming Test series will be part of the ICC World Test Championship.last_img read more

Man held for repeatedly raping 2 minor girls

first_imgRapePolice have arrested a young man on charges of repeatedly raping two minor girls in Hathazari upazila of Chittagong.The arrestee is Mohammad Hossain, 36, son of Robi Motaleb. Hailing from Teknaf in Cox’s Bazar, he had been living at Amtola of Hathazari for professional reasons.Officer-in-charge of Hathazari police station Belal Uddin Jahangir said Hossain confessed to his crimes.Hossain had been raping the two girls — one aged 7 and the other 9, he said, adding that the families of the victims came to know about it when he was violating them on 7 March.Police arrested Hossain on Monday night after a local union parishad member informed them about it, the OC said.last_img read more

STAR PREVIEW Newcastle v Man City

first_img[dropcap]D[/dropcap]esperate times for the Toon Army and a desperate time for them to be facing a reinvigorated Man City who have been bouyed by Champions League success and an impressive 3-0 win over Chelsea in the league.Man City thumped Newcastle 6-1 at the Etihad and it could well be another tennis score tonight in the ‘second set’.Newcastle have much more at stake though it’s still not mathematically impossible for Man City to be crowned champions.A win for Newcastle would lift them level with Norwich in what has become an ‘any two of three’ scenario for the final relegation places.Villa are already down and it’s now take your pick from Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle.Newcastle’s manager Rafael Benitez is hoping (optimistally) that Man City might have their mind on bigger targets. He said: “I think they have an eye on the Champions League and hopefully we can take advantage. In the back of your head you are thinking about a semi-final or a final and if you are going to get an injury. They are professionals and they will try to win but in the back of their mind they won’t want to miss a game through injury.”Newcastle will be without captain Fabricio Coloccini who remains sidelined by a calf injury.To make matters worse for Newcastle, Man City are re-united with both captain Vincent Kompany and forward Raheem Sterling who are both ready to return from injuries.Newcastle United v Man CityPremier League19:45 Sky Sports 1 / Sky Sports 1 HDHEAD TO HEAD RECORD(Maximum 10 matches)Oct 2015 PREMIER Man City 6 – 1 NewcastleFeb 2015 PREMIER Man City 5 – 0 NewcastleOct 2014 CAPITAL ONE CUP Man City 0 – 2 NewcastleAug 2014 PREMIER Newcastle 0 – 2 Man CityJan 2014 PREMIER Newcastle 0 – 2 Man CityOct 2013 CAPITAL ONE CUP Newcastle 0 – 2 Man CityAug 2013 PREMIER Man City 4 – 0 NewcastleMar 2013 PREMIER Man City 4 – 0 NewcastleDec 2012 PREMIER Newcastle 1 – 3 Man CityMay 2012 PREMIER Newcastle 0 – 2 Man CityMan City / Man City can be backed at around 5/4 on the Star Sports HT/FT market and I can see no other option.RECOMMENDED BETS (scale of 1-100 points)BACK MAN CITY / MAN CITY 12 points at 5/4 with Star SportsMonday: -12.00 pointsWhat’s your view? CALL STAR SPORTS 08000 521 321last_img read more