The way Liberia Anti-Corruption Commission (LACC) is conducting herself now sends a signal that the Commission is seriously “misplaced,” Deputy House Speaker Hans Barchue said.LACC recently announced that it has launched an investigation into the US$1.2 million which, according to the graft commission, was remitted to the House of Representatives to conduct a nationwide consultation on the draft Oil and Gas law.Reacting to LACC’s claims yesterday in a press conference, Deputy Speaker Barchue noted that the LACC’s well-publicized probe is “politically driven and lacks the basis of technical and financial institution as the LACC.”According to him, LACC’s request for him (Barchue) to provide information relative to US$1.2 million that was allegedly given to the House of Representatives is totally “ridiculous.”“I like to point out few errors in that communication from LACC. In the first place, we are not signatories to any account of the House as Speaker and Deputy, respectively. Signatories to the House’s account are the Chairman on Ways, Means and Finance and the Comptroller. How in the world will Cllr. Augustine Toe, who sits at the LACC and had been working with the Legislature over the years failed to know these things?“As chairman of the Consultation Committee, I was only mandated by plenary, the highest decision making body of the House, to supervise the process, that which was done perfectly well.“If there are issues, I believe the LACC should have directed her inquiries to the Chairman on Ways, Means and Finance other than me or the Speaker,” he maintained.The Grand Bassa County lawmaker further added: “I’m not against the LACC probing financial allegations, but I believed their bullet is misguided and is now being used for political reasons other than technical.“Under our constitution, you are not allowed to produce evidence against yourself, but interestingly; the LACC is requesting that I provide information and a comprehensive expenditure report including voucher and budget relating to said amount.“Is the LACC asking me to adduce evidence against myself — taking into account Article 21(h) of the Liberian Constitution, which states: “The accused shall not be compelled to furnish evidence against himself…”?”Deputy Speaker Barchue: “This is a simple and elementary error that makes LACC inept for which the fight against corruption remains a problem in our society today. An anti-graft commission like ours must check the facts properly before moving on with these things, but because there’s a motive; this is what we get from a body that should be exercising high degree of integrity.“Another proof of an inept commission is a January 20, 2015 letter addressed to Representative Edwin M. Snowe in which he (Snowe) was referred to as Chairman on Ways, Means and Finance. Is the LACC not aware that Rep. Snowe is not the chairman on budget at the House but rather Chairman on Rules, Order and Administration? Another myth again is the LACC said the money came from NOCAL, which is false and counterproductive to the operations of the Commission because the money came from the government of Liberia and not NOCAL.“All along, I have been announcing that only US$900,000 was released by the government of Liberia for this purpose, and if LACC is saying that US$1.2 million was issued to the House of Representatives; why not ask the House instead of asking me?”Meanwhile, LACC Chairman Cllr. James Verdier has since contradicted information from the Commission relating to probing these allegations. In an interview Monday at the Capitol Building, Cllr. Verdier dismissed having knowledge on these investigations.However, Justice Minister Cllr. Benedict Sannoh urged the graft commission to stop carrying herself “like the only institution in the fight against corruption” and work with the Justice ministry to address the problems affecting the Liberian society.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Thursday’s game started as ideally as a hockey game could for the hometown Huskies. The team’s newly assembled second line of Tyler Norris, Shawn Holliday and Owen Barker went to work in the offensive zone, as Norris showed some solid board play to protect the puck along the wall. Barker located the puck, took it to the net, and Holliday finished the play off, beating Vipers goaltender Braydon Glinnum for a 1-0 lead.The offence began to snowball as the period progressed, as Brighton Campbell laid a big open ice hit causing a turnover, which was picked up by Robbie Sidhu, fresh off a one game suspension.He skated half the length of the ice with the puck, and went wide on two Viper defenders, shooting and scoring glove side, producing a 2-0 Huskies lead.- Advertisement -The lead was extended further before the conclusion of the first, as the Huskies second line went to work once again, a theme that continued throughout the game. Barker carried the puck into the offensive zone, making a pass to Norris stationed to the left of Glinnum along the goal line. Norris spotted Holliday back door, made a nice pass to get him the puck, and Holliday made no mistake, burying the puck into the partially empty net.Credit must also be given to starting goaltender Travis McLean, who made a gigantic save with 11:30 left in the frame. After a Sexsmith shot rebounded to the right of McLean, leaving a Viper a wide open cage to put the puck in, the Huskies goaltender showed his lower body strength by kicking out his left pad, preventing the puck from crossing the goal line, a play that eventually would prove extremely important for the Huskies.The second period increased the intensity inside the North Peace Arena from level five to a solid nine. The middle frame started with Sexsmith showing they had no intention of being shut out Thursday, scoring on the power play with 5:02 into the second, bringing the score to 3-1.Advertisement However, the Huskies showed strong mental toughness, and following being awarded a power play in the final two minutes of the game, they executed the man-advantage to perfection. With the puck along the half wall, Sidhu spotted a pinching Daylen Pearson, passing the puck through two sticks to reach the D-man, who made no mistake, scoring the game winner with only 12 seconds remaining, sending the Huskies, and their fans into a frenzy of cheers, as the team secured a hard fought 6-5 win.Following a string of losses in November, Thursday’s win marks the team’s second straight win, bringing them just one point behind both Sexsmith and Fairview in the standings.The game was a solid one for Fort St. John’s offence, as the team’s leading scorer Robbie Sidhu had three points (1 G, 2 A), while the newly assembled second line of Holliday, Barker and Norris combined for 9 points. It was also a strong performance from goaltender Travis McLean, who made 29 saves for the win.Following the game, Huskies head coach Gary Alexander spoke about his new creation of the team’s second line.”They had some good chemistry with one another out there, and we’ve been mixing line and bodies all winter long to try to find some chemistry that would give us some secondary scoring, and that’s going to help big time if they can carry it on.”Advertisement The Sexsmith goal seemed to motivate the Huskeis, as the pups responded courtesy of the team’s top line. Blair Karasiuk scored 5:02 into the second, with fellow first lines Robbie Sidhu and Dylan Houle registering assists on the play.The Huskies didn’t stop there, as roughly two minutes later, Fort St. John’s second line furthered their case to continue playing together, as Shawn Holliday scored to complete his hat-trick, with assists going to Barker and Norris.With the Huskies leading 5-1, the cakewalk became an uphill grind, as Sexsmith came to life with 7:21 left in the second, scoring three goals before the period concluded, all of which were at even-strength, wrapping up the middle frame with a 5-4 Huskies lead.Thursday’s game seemed to be following the same route as the Huskies’ previous two meetings with the Vipers, when they led entering the third in both of those games, only to fall victim in comeback losses. That theme was close to continuing, as the Vipers scored with 3:51 left in the period, tying the game at 5-5, and sucking the life out of the North Peace Arena.Advertisement Alexander added that the game winning play was one the Huskies have worked in practice, and the coaches praised his players for ‘executing it to a ‘T’”.He says it’s a big win for his club, who can hopefully carry that momentum into Slave Lake this weekend, when the Huskies play back-to-back games against the Wolves on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.Saturday’s game will begin at 8 p.m., with Sunday’s matinee starting at 2 p.m. Both games can be heard live on 100.1 Moose FM, with the Moose FM Pre-Game Show starting 15 minutes before puck drop.To listen live, click here.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! HONOLULU – The Navy says it won’t comply with sonar training restrictions that aim to protect marine mammals off the California coast, arguing that the commission that imposed the rules does not have the jurisdiction to do so. The U.S. Pacific Fleet said in a statement that the California Coastal Commission’s rules cannot be applied beyond the scope of state waters, three nautical miles from shore. “The Navy does not take lightly our responsibility to the environment and marine life,” said Vice Adm. Barry Costello, commander of the U.S. 3rd Fleet in San Diego. “And we can be responsible environmental stewards while our sonar operators receive realistic training and experience at sea they need.” The Navy has been using sonar during training exercises off the California coast for decades, a practice that critics say can injure whales and other sea mammals.
Donegal Ladies Minor Championship Draw Glenfin v MilfordMoville v Fanad Gaels N Muire v ConvoyCloughaneely v ArdaraMac Cumhaills v St Eunan’sGlenswilly v Four Masters Buncrana v TermonN Conaill v Carndonagh Matches are over two legs on September 14 and September 21.Matches are fixed for 11am on Sundays, but can be changed to the Saturday but only by agreement of BOTH clubs.Aggregate Score counts. Referees will be appointed by the County Board and gates run by the Board.Quarter Finals will be one match played on October 5Semi-finals are fixed for October 12The Final will be played on October 19. DONEGAL LADIES MINOR CHAMPIONSHIP DRAW was last modified: August 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal LGFAMinor Draw
More than 1,500 people have voted in a poll to vote the Hail Mary as their favourite prayer at the National Ploughing Championships.The Hail Mary received the most votes, 61%, with O Angel of God (also known as the Guardian Angel player) the second most popular with people at the agricultural show.The other prayers to make the top five were the Our Father, The Rosary, and The Memorare. The competition’s organiser, Bishop Denis Nulty, was surprised that many other prayers did not make the cut.He said it was interesting that there were three devotion prayers in the top five – The Hail Mary, The Memorare and The Rosary.Bishop Nulty added: “The Prayer to the Guardian Angel [O Angel of God] got 39% but The Hail Mary got 61% in the final vote.”Ireland’s most-loved prayer has been revealed at Ploughing Championships was last modified: September 21st, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
The Rizal Memorial Sports Complex will stay on as a concrete reminder of the country’s rich sports history.The Philippine Sports Commission has decided to keep the sprawling sports center in Manila and rehabilitate the facilities inside to continue serving the needs of the national athletes.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ The Razon group promised to preserve the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, Rizal pool, Rizal ballpark and Rizal Football Stadium, the four main facilities identified as historical, but will build high-rise condominiums and commercial establishments within the walls of the RMSC.“It’s more of listening to the athletes, to the Filipinos that majority would like to preserve the place,’’ said Ramirez, who had sleepless nights before the PSC terminated the deal with Manila through a letter sent to Estrada.The PSC chief consulted Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea, Presidential Adviser Dennis Uy and other officials in Malacanang as well as his two sons in London and in California before the PSC board decided to stop the negotiations.“My oldest son, Omar, even told me not to leave Rizal memorial and preserve the interests of the athletes. They’re my family. It’s a big thing if the closest people to you say no,’’ said Ramirez.According to Ramirez, they’re looking at constructing one building that could house at least five to eight sports while they keep the historical facilities intact.ADVERTISEMENT Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Ginebra rips Kia for back-to-back wins National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress “After one year of negotiations, it was not the price but it was more of preserving what Rizal Memorial really stands for,’’ said PSC chair Butch Ramirez after the agency ended the negotiations with Manila for its possible sale.Apart from taking care of the national athletes, Ramirez is also concerned about the historical structures housed inside the 10-hectare training venue and will work together with the National Commission for Culture and Arts and the National Historical Commission of the Philippines for its renovation.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“In the course of our negotiations, it was identified as a heritage site. We can move out of Rizal Memorial and Manila can take over but I don’t want to be blamed by the athletes and the Filipino people,’’ said Ramirez.Top Manila officials led by mayor Joseph Estrada seriously considered selling the 83-year-old complex to the group of businessman Enrique Razon. A source said it was estimated to be sold at P10-P15 billion. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ View comments Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games LATEST STORIES They will also tap an architectural or engineering firm to come up with the master plan of the new RMSC with the construction projected to begin in the first quarter of 2018.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next