Binatangs get intensive training

first_imgThe ten U16 PNG Binatangs who were selected to form Team South Pacific are getting intensive training to prepare for the National U16 championships at Australia’s Gold Coast. The annual championship will be held from July 5-14 bringing the best footy players from around Australia and the South Pacific region.The PNG boys were selected by AFL Queensland along with 15 other highly skilled athletes from New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Nauru and Vanuatu boys.Selection of the team was made during the recent South Pacific Cup that was held in Coffs Harbour, Australia.  PNG’s U16 Coca-Cola Binatangs retained the title for the second consecutive year.AFL Pacific development officer and coach of the South Pacific team, Ben Drew confirmed that all the players will be training in their respective countries and provinces here in PNG.Drew said they were given a training program from the South Pacific coaching panel to prepare well before travelling to Australia in July.“Each of the players was given a fitness regime to help them in areas that need improvement.“They know their strengths and weaknesses and the training program is a guide to help them to keep improving their skills.“What we want them to focus on is to keep improving their kicking, marking and handballing.“Even areas of contact skills, defence, forward, ruck and midfield strategies need to be maintained and improved every day,” he said.Drew said it’s not a massive fitness regime but enough to help them improve their skill work and physical fitness.Drew said earlier that the players will have to familiarise themselves with each other’s game and learn how to communicate well on the field because that’s very important.The trip to the Gold Coast includes a pre-tour training from July 5-7, high performance camp with the actual championship starting on the July 7-14.last_img read more

Reports – Newcastle and Hull flop set for New York City FC talks

first_img Hatem Ben Arfa 1 Newcastle United flop Hatem Ben Arfa is in talks with MLS side New York City FC, according to reports in France.The 27-year-old is currently a free agent after being released by Newcastle following a disappointing loan spell with Hull City.The playmaker had looked set to join Ligue 1 side Nice, but FIFA blocked the move claiming it broke regulations regarding players playing for three different clubs in a single season.However, according to L’Equipe, New York City – who are owned by Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour – are ready to offer Ben Arfa a solution to his footballing nightmare.The Frenchman can move to the MLS due to the fact that their new season begins in March, meaning he will have not broken FIFA rules over playing for three teams in the same season.The newly founded MLS side are ready to offer the attacking midfielder a route back into a football and a place in the first-team, where he could star alongside David Villa and Frank Lampard.last_img read more