Supreme Court removes Thakur, Shirke from top BCCI posts

first_imgIndia’s Supreme Court has ordered the removal of the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BBCI) President Anurag Thakur and Secretary Ajay Shirke from office with immediate effect. The court’s decision follows restrictions on the BCCI’s accounts last year because of a failure to apply a series of reforms recommended by a panel headed by former judge Rajendra Mal Lodha (Lodha Committee). The court also ruled that other office bearers of the BCCI and state associations who did not meet the requirements set by the committee shall “cease to hold office” immediately. The committee says that an office bearer should be a citizen of India, should not be 70 years or older, should not be a government servant or minister, should not hold office in another sports organisation, should not have held office with the BCCI or state association for more than nine years, should not be insolvent or of unsound mind, and should not have a criminal record. All existing office bearers who met the criteria were permitted to continue in their roles but were asked to file an “unconditional undertaking” in the Supreme Court within four weeks from January 2 that they would implement the Lodha Committee’s recommendations. The BCCI’s most senior vice-president will temporarily perform duties in Thakur’s absence while Joint Secretary Amitabh Chaudhary will take over for Shirke. Thakur said that he had fought for the autonomy of the BCCI and that his was not a personal battle. “Over the years, Indian cricket saw its very best in terms of administration and development of the game,” he says. “BCCI is the best-managed sports organisation in the country, with defined procedures. India has the best cricket infrastructure, built and maintained by the state associations with the help of BCCI. India has more quality players than anywhere in the world. “I respect the Supreme Court as any citizen should. Supreme Court judges feel that BCCI could do better under retired judges, I wish them all the best. I’m sure Indian cricket will do well under their guidance.” NOT A PERSONAL BATTLE CITIZEN OF INDIAlast_img read more

Senator Tengbeh Seeks Redress

first_imgLofa County Senator George Tengbeh has communicated an official complaint to the plenary of the Liberian Senate, regarding recent verbal exchanges between the Senator and authorities at the Ministry of Finance.Senator Tengbeh at two recent official functions blamed Finance Minister Amara Konneh for being personally responsible for the budget shortfalls the country has experienced over the past two years, and called for his resignation or dismissal.In the communication to the plenary Thursday, May 1, dated April 30, 2014, Sen. Tengbeh pleaded with his colleagues for contemptuous action against Minister Konneh for a release issued against him on Wednesday, April 23, 2014, “using adjectives on me such as comical, reckless and irresponsible while performing my Legislative duties in fulfillment of Rule 57 Sections 1&2 of the standing rules of the Liberian Senate…”Senator Tengbeh who Chairs the Senate Committee on Maritime, and co-chairs Rules, Order & Administration, continued in his communication that: “In addition to the adjectives against me, the Minister of Finance’s release further stated that the National Legislature is the one that has failed to utilize the expertise of the Legislative Budget Office (LBO) to give technical advice on issues relating to the budget.”Senator Tengbeh quoted the Ministry of Finance release against him as saying that Minister Konneh and his team had mobilized close to US$200 million to support small tree crops growers mainly in Lofa County, which he said he knew nothing about as a key stakeholder of the county.The Lofa County lawmaker said he considers the release by the Ministry of Finance against him as disrespect.The Senator noted: “In view of the above, distinguished colleagues, it is clear that the Ministry of Finance obstructed or impeded on my Legislative functions…I therefore beg your indulgence to have the Minister of Finance appear before the Plenary on Tuesday, May 6, 2014 to give reasons as to why he cannot be held in contempt and further clarify the US$200 million he claimed to have raised for the support of small tree crops growers in Lofa.”However, immediately after the reading of Senator Tengbeh’s communication, the plenary went into executive session and no outcome of deliberations was released to the Legislative Press Corps.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

United, City into League Cup fourth round

first_img0Shares0000Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford scores the opening goal during their match against Burton Albion at Old Trafford in Manchester on September 20, 2017 © AFP / Paul ELLISLONDON, United Kingdom, Sep 21 – Marcus Rashford fired Manchester United into the League Cup fourth round as the holders crushed Burton 4-1, while Manchester City eased through with a 2-1 win at West Bromwich Albion on Wednesday.City and United, currently first and second in the Premier League, took contrasting routes to the last 16, where they were joined by Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton as the big guns advanced despite fielding weakened teams. United manager Jose Mourinho made nine changes from the side that thrashed Everton on Sunday, with Rashford and Juan Mata the only survivors.Rashford took just five minutes to open the scoring with a deft finish and the England forward struck again in the 17th minute with a powerful effort.Burton, 19th in the Championship, were killed off in the 36th minute when Jesse Lingard’s shot deflected in off Ben Turner.Injury-ravaged United left-back Luke Shaw came on for his first appearance since April before Anthony Martial scored the fourth from Rashford’s pass on the hour.Lloyd Dyer got one back for Burton in stoppage-time.“If you ask me could English football survive or even be better without this competition? Maybe we would be fresher for European competition for example,” Mourinho said.“But we have this competition, we have to respect the sponsors, we have to respect the opponents and a lot of us are trying to do our best.”At the Hawthorns, City boss Pep Guardiola made eight changes from the 6-0 demolition of Watford, giving Yaya Toure his first start of the season, while Ilkay Gundogan, back from a serious knee injury, started for the first time since December.It was from Gundogan’s saved shot that Leroy Sane slotted in City’s third minute opener.But, casting a shadow over City’s progress, Gundogan was forced off with a knock in the second half.Claudio Yacob equalised for Albion with a close-range finish in the 72nd minute, only for Germany winger Sane to produce a superb curling winner five minutes later.Michy Batshuayi’s hat-trick helped Chelsea crush second tier Nottingham Forest 5-1 at Stamford Bridge.Antonio Conte made nine changes from Sunday’s 0-0 draw against Arsenal, with Eden Hazard given his first start of the season after recovering from ankle surgery.Kenedy was starting for the first time since being sent home from Chelsea’s pre-season tour of Asia in July following his offensive social media comments about China.– Batshuayi shines –His bid to get back in Conte’s good books got underway when the Brazilian winger put Chelsea ahead in the 13th minute with his first goal since March 2016.Batshuayi’s close-range finish doubled Chelsea’s lead six minutes later before 20-year-old Belgian Charly Musonda smashed in his first Blues goal in the 40th minute.Chelsea’s Michy Batshuayi (R) scores his second and the team’s fourth goal during their match against Nottingham Forest at Stamford Bridge in London on September 20, 2017 © AFP / Glyn KIRKBatshuayi got his second from Hazard’s pass in the 53rd minute and the Belgian striker completed his treble four minutes from full-time, with Forest replying through Tendayi Darikwa in the closing moments.A week after his 17th birthday, substitute Ethan Ampadu became the first player born this millennium to represent Chelsea.Theo Walcott sealed Arsenal’s 1-0 win over third tier Doncaster at the Emirates Stadium.Gunners boss Arsene Wenger changed his entire line-up from the Chelsea draw, with Per Mertesacker, Alexis Sanchez and Olivier Giroud among the starters.Sanchez set up the 25th minute opener, clipping a fine pass to Walcott, who controlled well before slotting home.“That was hard work, credit to Doncaster. I was concerned, they looked dangerous,” Wenger said.Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s double blasted Everton to a 3-0 victory over second tier Sunderland at Goodison Park.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more