Women’s water polo finds success but cannot close

first_imgDespite winning each of their first 10 matches, USC women’s water polo lost for the first time this season. Falling 9-3 to No. 1 Stanford in the championship match of the Barbara Kalbus Invitational, the Women of Troy found a disappointing end to what was an otherwise strong showing for the squad.Sophomore driver Kelsey McIntosh has scored 14 goals in the 2018 season, the third most on the Trojans’ squad. Daily Trojan file photo.“By the end, recovery played a huge role,” head coach Jovan Vavic said. “We were definitely worn out.”To start out the tournament, action was business as usual for USC. After dismantling No. 18 San Jose State by a 17-1 margin on Friday, the Trojans were off and running. Against the Spartans, nine different players found the back of the net, six managed to score twice, and two (drivers freshman Paige Hauschild and sophomore Denise Mammolito) notched hat tricks. As a team, USC opened up the match with a massive 16-0 run only conceding a late goal in the final seven minutes of play.On Saturday, USC faced a tough pair of opponents standing between them and a shot at winning a third consecutive Barbara Kalbus title. In the first match of the day, the Trojans took down No. 6 Arizona State 8-6 in a hard fought, back-and-forth affair. Taking a 5-5 tie into the fourth period, USC stepped up when it mattered most, striking three more times to secure the victory before the Sun Devils could find any footing. Senior utility player Annika Jensen became the third Trojan to pick up a hat trick over the course of two games while Hauschild netted her fourth and fifth goals of the tournament.Moving on to the semi-finals, No. 2 Cal. represented the toughest test the Women of Troy had faced thus far in the 2018 season. Early in the match, the Golden Bears were proving just why they are such a difficult squad to overcome. California came out firing, pinning down USC 3-1 within the first few minutes of the game. The Trojan defense tightened up in the second period and by halftime, the score was knotted up 3-3.Continuing momentum off a strong end to the half, junior goaltender Amanda Longan dominated the final half of play. In a career-best performance of 18 saves, Longan repelled shot after shot from the dangerous Cal team. Her performance completely shut down Cal for yet another period in the third, allowing USC to take a 5-3 lead into the fourth off goals from senior drivers Brianna Daboub and Jensen. Despite conceding their 2-goal lead, USC found a late spark as Jensen completed her second consecutive hat trick with a clutch score that came with just 18 seconds left in regulation time. “[Jensen] stepped up and that’s what you do as a senior,” Vavic said. “I’m excited to see what she can do.”All that remained for USC to secure a third-straight title was a championship match against No. 1 Stanford. As it turned out, the Trojans’ long stretch of success would finally come to an end. After turning in a number of dominant offensive performances throughout the early season and the first few matches of the tournament, the goal scoring faltered Sunday against Stanford as the Women of Troy fell 9-3 to the Cardinal.Despite failures to convert on key chances early in the match, USC was down only 3-2 in the second period. At this point, the floodgates opened and Stanford managed to score four consecutive goals until a last-minute score from Trojan freshman driver Verica Bakoc closed the Trojans’ deficit to 7-3 heading into the half. While this margin is certainly within striking range, USC was unable to close the gap as the Cardinal completely shut down the Trojans’ attack for the remainder of the game to take home the title.Looking ahead, the squad will have a few weeks off before taking on No. 7 UC Irvine on March 7.last_img read more

Wellington Police Notes: Thursday, October 30

first_imgWellington Police notes for Thursday, October 30, 2014:•3:26 p.m. Officers conducted a Courtesy Motor Vehicle Accident Report on private property in the 200 block S. Jefferson, Wellington involving a vehicle operated by John R. Burns, 48, Douglass, and a fixed object/gas meter owned by Kansas Gas, Arkansas City.•6:55 p.m. Officers investigated criminal damage to property wish spray paint by a known suspect in the 300 block N. Olive, Wellington. •7:41 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 200 block S. Douglas, Wellington.•8:22 p.m. Officers investigated aggravated assault on law enforcement, obstruction of law enforcement officers times two, traffic contraband in a correctional facility, disorderly conduct, criminal trespass, battery, criminal damage to property, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana in the 1300 block N. B, Wellington by a known suspect(s).•9:25 p.m. Felicia L Ferguson, 28, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with disorderly conduct, obstruction of law enforcement, possession of drug paraphernalia, traffic contraband into a correctional facility, criminal trespass, battery, criminal damage to property and possession of depressant.•9:25 p.m. Rick B. McEachern, 41, Wellington was arrested, charged and confined with aggravated assault on law enforcement officers and obstruction of law enforcement officers.last_img read more


first_imgA CONVICTED sex offender at the centre of a massive Donegal investigation has been sentenced to nine-months in prison by Judge Eamon O’Brien at Limerick District Court, after he failed to notify gardai of his address within seven days of his release from prison.In July 2010, Leo Forde, 28, with an address in Laghey Road, Ballyshannon, Co Donegal, was convicted and sentenced to three years in prison for sexually assaulting a 13-year-old schoolgirl in 2003.Forde was the fifth person to be convicted of sex crimes against the girl, who was assaulted by the now 28-year-old three times at school shed when he was 19 and she was 13. Donegal Circuit Court suspended the last year of the sentence, and Forde was released on Christmas week in December of last year.Prior to his conviction, Forde was a maintenance worker at a Limerick apartment block but had since lost his job.Gardai arrested Forde in Limerick on December 31 last after he was detained by security staff in Dunnes on Harvey’s Quay for the theft of a box of Budweiser worth €18.He was also charged with the theft of a bottle of wine at a Spar store on Henry Street, three days earlier.Evidence was given that Forde, with an new address in Limerick city centre, gave gardai a false name during his arrest for the alcohol thefts.Forde failed to inform gardai of his address within seven days of his release from prison.Ted McCarthy, solicitor for the accused, told the court that his client had difficulty in registering as he did not have a permanent address, and the compliance to register under legislation could not be done if “you were of no fixed abode”.“This is where my client had difficulty, but he did, and has complied with the requirements, and in fact, registered an address within 10 days and has been compliant ever since”.Judge Eamon O’Brien heard that the maximum sentence upon conviction for the breach of the section 12 requirements of a registered sex offender was a fine not exceeding €5,000 or 12 months imprisonment, or both.In the matters of the thefts, the court heard that the goods had been recovered.Forde was sentenced to nine months in prison, suspended for a period of two years, and bound to the peace for two years.DONEGAL PAEDOPHILE JAILED FOR FAILING TO GIVE ADDRESS TO GARDAI was last modified: March 23rd, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL PAEDOPHILE JAILED FOR FAILING TO GIVE ADDRESS TO GARDAlast_img read more