Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award “The finals brought the school together, it put Lyceum as a basketball institution and that was our vision ever since we took over that we would bring it to a whole new level,” said Robinson.“One way to cap this off is to win a championship and that will boost the Lyceum program not just from a basketball standpoint but also academically.” Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew With revenge far from their minds, Robinson and Pirates are simply determined on showing that they’re a better, more matured team compared to the one that fell helplessly to San Beda last year.“Everybody says that this will be the revenge series for us, we don’t consider it that way, the loss gave us lessons on the things that we were lacking the previous year,” said Robinson whose school joined the NCAA in 2011, 87 years after San Beda help found the league.“We want to get better experience really. Actually this is a win-win situation for us because this is another opportunity for us.”And even though Robinson led Lyceum into becoming one of the most respected programs in the country, the 38-year-old mentor doesn’t look solely at a basketball standpoint.Robinson, who began his job with the Pirates in 2014, said the team’s finals appearance in 2017 not only made Lyceum as a premier basketball program but also as better-known educational institution.ADVERTISEMENT For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown LeBron James teases about playing with Kobe Bryant: ‘Imagine if we had’ Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? LATEST STORIES MOST READ Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew The Pirates went on a perfect 18-0 in the eliminations before losing two straight to perennial powerhouse San Beda in the finals but Topex Robinson’s group has a chance to redeem itself.But Lyceum’s return to the championship round of the NCAA Season 94 is by no means a way of seeking revenge.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“We just want to enjoy this moment, this opportunity, I want the players to cherish this experience because you won’t play for a long time in college I don’t want to take the fun away from them,” said Robinson in a phone conversation with Inquirer.“Even I go back to the time when I played college ball,” added Robinson who played for San Sebastian in the late 90s. View comments Bitterness usually grips someone’s heart when he experiences a painful loss, especially after a perfect run like what Lyceum had in the 93rd season of the NCAA.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title
Mali have failed to progress past the groups in the last two AFCONS. (PHOTO/AGENCIES)AFCON 2019Mali vs MauritaniaNew Suez Stadium, SuezMonday, 24-06-2019 @11pmSUEZ – Mali and Mauritania will square off in their Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) opener at the Suez Stadium on Monday night.The two nations have it all to do if they are to make it out of the group E as the other two occupants Tunisia and Angola seem to be better on paper.Mali would be out-right favourites for the game but have had several issues in the build-up to the tournament and it remains to be seen, which frame of mind the players are in, come game time.The Eagles had FUFA threaten to ban their country from the Cup of Nations over squabbling among officials.Their head coach Mohamed Magassouba then took four days longer than any of the other 23 coaches to name his squad, without offering an explanation.Such a chaotic build-up to any major tournament can easily destroy the mood of the camp and it is something that Mali will be hoping to overcome as soon as possible.The other concern for Mali coming into the game has been their defensive issues.Mali went down 3-2 to Algeria in a recent friendly, the third match in a row for the Eagles highlighting a need to tighten up on defence after conceding three other goals against Senegal and Cameroon.Mali made it through to consecutive semi-finals in 2012 and 2013 but have failed to progress out of the group stage since and they have not won a match during the last two editions of the tournament.They qualified with ease from a group containing Burundi, Gabon and South Sudan; they didn’t lose a game and only conceded twice during the campaign.Although there is not a vast amount of international experience in the squad with only three of the outfield players possessing in excess of 20 caps, Mali have a number of excellent talents plying their trade in Europe with Amadou Haidara and Moussa Marega amongst them. Marega had an excellent UEFA Champions League campaign for Porto with six goals in the competition.Mauritania are making their first-ever appearance at the Africa Cup of Nations after finishing second in their qualifying group ahead of 2017 semi-finalists Burkina Faso.Mauritania are making their debut at AFCON.They won all three of their home matches in qualifying but lost twice away from home which included a 4-1 defeat against Angola.Pleased to just have qualified for the tournament, their expectations are low and any positive results they gain will be a bonus.Mauritania are also coming off the back of a loss having suffered a 3-1 defeat to Benin in Marrakech.Lions of Chinguetti did, however, clinch a 3-1 win over Madagascar in their previous warm-up match.Other games on Tuesday-Ivory Coast vs South Africa-Tunisia vs Angola @8pmComments Tags: AFCON 2019MALIMauritania
Embed from Getty ImagesQPR are ready to bring back former manager Ian Holloway if they are unable to land Birmingham boss Gary Rowett.West London Sport this week revealed that odds-on favourite Tim Sherwood was not in the running and that Rangers had targeted Rowett, with Holloway in the frame as the preferred back-up option. Do you think Rangers should re-appoint Holloway?Click here for the latest QPR transfer gossipClick here for today’s QPR quiz See also:Sherwood looks out of the running for QPR jobFreedman and Robinson apply for QPR jobQPR speak to Holloway about manager’s jobQPR want Birmingham manager Rowett Ads by Revcontent Trending Articles Urologists: Men, Forget the Blue Pill! This “Destroys” ED x ‘Genius Pill’ Used By Rich Americans Now Available In Netherlands! x One Cup of This (Before Bed) Burns Belly Fat Like Crazy! x Men, You Don’t Need the Blue Pill if You Do This x What She Did to Lose Weight Stuns Doctors: Do This Daily Before Bed! x Drink This Before Bed, Watch Your Body Fat Melt Like Crazy x Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
15 February 2005Work has begun on one of South Africa’s most ambitious housing projects to date. The multi-million rand N2 Gateway Project will benefit over 100 000 people who squat along the highway leading from Cape Town International Airport into the Mother City – and pilot a new model for tackling urban development in the country.Contractors from Sobambisana Consortium began clearing sites along the N2 last week – a day after they were informed that they had won the mammoth low-cost housing tender.This project, starting with the Joe Slovo informal settlement, is the first to emerge from the government’s new plan to fast-track housing delivery, with the aim of eradicating informal settlements in the country by 2014.Rapid delivery – to be achieved in part by jettisoning unnecessary bureaucracy and limiting prior consultation and participation – is seen as key to the project.Cape Town Executive Mayor Nomaindia Mfeketo said the project aimed to “bring quality housing to the poor of our City on a scale which has not been on the agenda before.“It is not only about providing housing to residents of informal settlements”, Mfeketo said. “All families needing housing will benefit from our new approach to housing – those living in backyards, those living in council housing, those with no housing at all.”About 30% of the housing will be dedicated to backyard dwellers.Mark Julies of the Sobambisana Consortium, made up of six companies, said work would commence at a “very rapid pace” once they had received all the necessary information and documentation.Detailed layout plans, design drawings, architect’s impressions and models of the units had been submitted as part of the tender process – and clearing of sites and excavation was already under way.The first sub-phase of the project kicks off with 700 units, simple in design, at the Joe Slovo informal settlement in Langa that was ravaged by fire in January. Julies said these would be high-density units – about 150 units per hectare – consisting of a variety of one, two and three-bed roomed units.The aim, he said, was not to recreate “just another township” but rather an urban environment, consisting of open space, green space, semi-private space and rainwater collection points.Other informal settlements earmarked for the project include Barcelona, Boys Town, Kanana and New Rest.Housing Minister Lindiwe Sisulu described the project as a “win-win for everyone in Cape Town”.Everyone involved in the project had worked hard to work out an avenue and a business plan, pool resources, count the “meagre pennies” and put together an integrated development plan, she said.Because there was always contestation over scarce resources, Sisulu urged communities to “be patient and understand”.Government housing representatives will embark on a door-to-door campaign to establish a better understanding of the project.“To ensure the integrity of the process, we have asked the Department of Justice to come on board to ensure that all the legal requirements are kept and processed”, Sisulu added.Source: BuaNews Want to use this article in your publication or on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
By Anne Taylor2 October 2013Celebrating the freedom to be who we are. That’s what Freedom Fridays are all about.South Africa will celebrate 20 years of democracy on 27 April 2014. And it’s time to show off how proud we are to be South African. Clothes in the colour of the national flag, a rugby or football jersey, a South African scarf, traditional wear, beads and shweshwe – wear anything that shows your unity in celebrating this important landmark in our country’s history.“Let us never be unmindful of the terrible past from which we come, that memory not as a means to keep us shackled to the past in a negative manner, but rather as a joyous reminder of how far we have come and how much we have achieved.” – Nelson Mandela, quoted by BrandSA chief executive Miller Matola at the launch of Freedom FridaysSouth Africans are being encouraged to wear anything that expresses their pride in being South African every Friday until the celebrations next year. So go ahead, and wear your heart on your sleeve.An initiative of LeadSA, it is supported by Brand South Africa, the Department of Arts and Culture, the Government Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) and Proudly SA.Read more on BrandSA: The road to freedomRead more on SA.info: Freedom Fridays campaign under wayAll dressed up? Email your photos to LeadSA and they’ll post them on social media: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Supreme Court on June 4 directed the Maharashtra government to hold the last round of counselling for postgraduate medical and dental seats by June 14. It ordered the State to give wide publicity to the extension of the admissions deadline from June 4 to 14. It said no other court would entertain petitions filed on this matter.The order by a Vacation Bench led by Justice Indu Malhotra follows an interim direction last month to the State to not implement the 10% economic quota for the admissions for the 2019-20 academic year. The Maharashtra government issued notifications dated February 12 and March 7 last to implement the 10% reservation for the economically deprived classes. They were stayed by the apex court in a recent order.On June 4, the court slammed the government for “creating a mess” and troubling candidates who aspire to get their postgraduation. It clarified that candidates would not be allowed to change preferences made at the time of filling up the admission forms.May 31 directiveOn May 31, the court directed the government to complete the counselling process and come up with revised merit list for admissions after removing seats allotted under the 10% Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) quota to 25 students. The then Vacation Bench headed by Justice M.R. Shah asked the State to complete the counselling process by June 4. It pulled up the government for overreaching its May 30 order against the implementation of 10% EWS quota.On May 30, the court passed an interim direction that the 10% quota introduced through the two notifications will not apply for this academic year, the process for which had began in November 2018.By the 103rd constitutional amendment, Article 16 (6) was inserted allowing the States to make “any provision for the reservation of appointments or posts in favour of any economically weaker sections of citizens other than the classes mentioned in clause (4), in addition to the existing reservation and subject to a maximum of ten per cent of the posts in each category.”The May 30 interim direction came on a plea filed by a student, Rajat Rajendra Agrawal, from the general category questioning whether the constitutional amendment would apply to an ongoing admission process that had started well before the coming into force of the amendment (January, 2019) and the two notifications.