Los Molinos >> Typically loaded with offensive weapons, Los Molinos High girls volleyball coach Chas Konopka said the team has been explosive when the ball was on the Bulldogs’ side of the court. But after graduating Liset Castillo and with Rachel Rogers’ decision not to play volleyball, Konopka has been reorganizing the team’s game plan in 2017. “We’re going to be more of a defensive team this year,” Konopka said Thursday morning, following the team’s workout. Castillo and Rogers were up …
The Central Bureau of Investigation has registered a case against six persons, including two employees with the Allahabad High Court, for allegedly stealing and destroying court documents.In September last year, the Allahabad High Court had directed the CBI to conduct a preliminary enquiry into the missing High Court and lower court documents in a particular case. The agency submitted its report on January 18.According to the CBI, the files were stolen in connivance with two peons posted with the High Court — Dilip Kumar Chandel and Narendra Kumar. The others named in the FIR are Subhash Chandra, Chandra Veer Singh, Basudev and Rajvir. On further directions of the High Court, the CBI has now registered a case against the accused persons, booking them under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code and the Prevention of Corruption Act.Untraced filesThe theft came to light when a Division Bench of the High Court was hearing a criminal appeal. The case files were sent to the Court on July 25 last year. The lower court record was returned to the office the same day. The High Court file was returned two days later and the same was received in the criminal appeal section. However, both the files could not be traced later.The High Court, during the next hearing on August 31 last year, observed that there would be no option, but to cancel the bail of the accused persons Basudev and Rajbir, and issue a direction for enquiry. In September, the Court directed the Registrar General to look into the matter and submit a report.
Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh has decided to seek legal opinion on whether his Minister Navjot Singh Sidhu can continue to appear as a celebrity judge on a popular television show. “Capt. Amarinder has said he is not sure what the law says regarding a Cabinet minister working on a television programme, and will have to ask the State’s advocate general to give legal advice on the matter,” his media advisor, Raveen Thukral, told The Hindu.Conflict of interest“It’s about whether there’s any conflict of interest if he [Mr. Sidhu] continues to work in television…If there is any, then the Chief Minister will talk to him [Mr. Sidhu] and bring it to his knowledge,” he added.The controversy erupted after Mr. Sidhu recently said that he will continue to appear on a popular TV show as a celebrity judge. “TV shows will not interfere with my Cabinet responsibilities. The public had elected me five times with what I have been doing…If they don’t have a problem, why should anyone else have it,” Mr. Sidhu had said. ‘Not office of profit’He insisted that his TV shows will not interfere with his Cabinet responsibilities. “I have no liquor, sand mining or transport business like former deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal. I earn a living through TV shows and I will be in Chandigarh from Monday to Thursday and in Amritsar from Friday to Sunday. What I do at night should not be anyone’s concern. I will take first flight back to Punjab after TV shoots in Mumbai,” he said.Mr. Sidhu, who currently holds the portfolios of local government, tourism and cultural affairs, has been maintaining that doing a TV show does not come under the ambit of “office of profit”.Meanwhile, Navjot Singh Sidhu’s wife Navjot Kaur has come out in support of his husband through a Facebook post, saying that the issue was being over-hyped without any reason.“Such hype has been created about Navjot earning a living from television. He has left 80 per cent of shows, which included IPL, commentary, etc.I think it is a meagre time for a non-socially active God-fearing workaholic,” she wrote on Facebook. (With inputs from PTI)
The Supreme Court on June 4 directed the Maharashtra government to hold the last round of counselling for postgraduate medical and dental seats by June 14. It ordered the State to give wide publicity to the extension of the admissions deadline from June 4 to 14. It said no other court would entertain petitions filed on this matter.The order by a Vacation Bench led by Justice Indu Malhotra follows an interim direction last month to the State to not implement the 10% economic quota for the admissions for the 2019-20 academic year. The Maharashtra government issued notifications dated February 12 and March 7 last to implement the 10% reservation for the economically deprived classes. They were stayed by the apex court in a recent order.On June 4, the court slammed the government for “creating a mess” and troubling candidates who aspire to get their postgraduation. It clarified that candidates would not be allowed to change preferences made at the time of filling up the admission forms.May 31 directiveOn May 31, the court directed the government to complete the counselling process and come up with revised merit list for admissions after removing seats allotted under the 10% Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) quota to 25 students. The then Vacation Bench headed by Justice M.R. Shah asked the State to complete the counselling process by June 4. It pulled up the government for overreaching its May 30 order against the implementation of 10% EWS quota.On May 30, the court passed an interim direction that the 10% quota introduced through the two notifications will not apply for this academic year, the process for which had began in November 2018.By the 103rd constitutional amendment, Article 16 (6) was inserted allowing the States to make “any provision for the reservation of appointments or posts in favour of any economically weaker sections of citizens other than the classes mentioned in clause (4), in addition to the existing reservation and subject to a maximum of ten per cent of the posts in each category.”The May 30 interim direction came on a plea filed by a student, Rajat Rajendra Agrawal, from the general category questioning whether the constitutional amendment would apply to an ongoing admission process that had started well before the coming into force of the amendment (January, 2019) and the two notifications.
Serena Williams is not the type to show mercy to weakened opponents and Saturday proved no exception as the American demolished Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska to reach the final of the WTA Championships.Williams roared through her round robin group, winning all three matches, and proved unstoppable again in a 6-2 6-1 victory that set up a final against Maria Sharapova.Sharapova beat Victoria Azarenka, who will finish the year as No.1 in the rankings, with similar ease 6-4 6-2.Williams has yet to drop a set in the showpiece tournament while Sharapova has only conceded one set.World number three Williams, the outstanding player on the tour during the second half of the year in which she won Wimbledon, the Olympics and the U.S. Open, rattled off 39 winners against the leg-weary Radwanska.Radwanska, who took three hours and 29 minutes to beat Sara Errani on Friday, just about stayed with Williams until 2-2 in the first set but her resistance quickly crumbled against the 15-times grand slam champion.“Those last two matches really killed me, especially that I didn’t have the day off,” Radwanska, who was beaten in a tight three-setter by Sharapova in the group, said.“I really needed that. And especially that surface. It’s very sticky, so three and a half hours is a lot. I’m really tired today and I really wanted to run, but my legs didn’t.”Sharapova went into her match with Azarenka having lost four of their five meetings this year, including losing to her in three finals, but looked much fresher on Saturday inside the Sinan Erdem arena.Azarenka, who had sealed the year-end number one ranking by advancing to the semi-finals, lacked her normal power and foot speed and was no match for Sharapova who broke the Belarussian’s serve twice in the first set with some vicious returns.Read the rest of this story on reuters.com
The Juventus Colombian forward has confirmed his knee surgery has gone as planned and is now recovering to return to football soonJuventus Colombian attacker Juan Cuadrado has come out from knee surgery with success.The South American announced on Instagram he was happy after his surgery.“Thank God the surgery went well now I will work for making a good recovery and come back stronger,” Cuadrado wrote on Instagram as quoted by Calcio Mercato.Fiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.“I am convinced that if we love God all things go well.”““Today, the player was subjected to arthroscopic treatment of the left knee for the lesion of the external meniscus and the cartilage fracture, a perfectly successful operation, and today Juan Cuadrado has undergone arthroscopic treatment on his left knee – a lesion of the external meniscus and the cartilaginous fracture reported in the trauma suffered during the Champions League match played in Bern,” said the club’s press department.“The intervention, carried out in Barcelona by Dr. Cugat, assisted by Juventus health officer Dr. Claudio Rigo, is perfectly successful.”
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) — State Attorney General Xavier Becerra Thursday announced the arrest of 52 people as part of an enforcement effort billed as the nation’s largest mobilization to eradicate illegal marijuana cultivation.The three-month California Campaign Against Marijuana Planting operation resulted in the seizure of 614,267 cannabis plants and 110 weapons at more than 250 illegal grow sites, according to state officials.The recently concluded crackdown on illegal indoor and outdoor marijuana cultivation and pot trafficking “put an exclamation point behind California’s multi-agency illegal-cannabis campaign, holding accountable individuals who damage our public lands and hurt our communities,” Becerra said.“At the California Department of Justice, we will continue to work with our partners at the federal, state and local levels through our CAMP program to vigorously enforce California’s laws against illegal cannabis activity,” he said.During the 12-week operation, four groups of investigators targeted illicit marijuana cultivation and distribution in the following counties: Amador, Calaveras, Colusa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Inyo, Kern, Lake, Lassen, Los Angeles, Madera, Mariposa, Mendocino, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Plumas, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, San Joaquin, Shasta, Siskiyou, Solano, Stanislaus, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Ventura, Yolo and Yuba.Among the accomplishments of the CAMP teams was protection of public resources against misuse and safeguarded public land and water from illegal pesticides, according to the attorney general’s office.In Stanislaus County, the personnel stopped drug traffickers from diverting water from the San Joaquin River, officials said. In other cases, authorities halted the use of a banned pesticide called carbofuran, shielding public lands from the toxic chemical.Taking part in the operation along with various local law enforcement agencies were the Central Valley High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program; the state Bureau of Land Management, Department of Fish and Wildlife, Department of Justice and National Guard; and the federal Department of Agriculture, Department of Interior, Drug Enforcement Administration, Forest Service and National Park Service. October 4, 2018 52 arrested during statewide illegal marijuana crackdown Posted: October 4, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: California News, Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom
News 61st GRAMMY Nominees Celebrate Pre-GRAMMYs In L.A. linda-perry-fred-armisen-weird-al-more-attend-la-grammy-nominee-reception Facebook Out of the roughly 800 GRAMMY nominees, 221 come from Los AngelesJennifer VelezGRAMMYs Feb 2, 2019 – 5:15 pm The pouring rain did not keep Los Angeles-based GRAMMY nominees from attending the L.A. Chapter Nominee Celebration Saturday morning, just a week before the 61st GRAMMY Awards on Feb. 10.Out of the roughly 800 GRAMMY nominees, 221 come from Los Angeles, said L.A. Chapter Executive Director Qiana Conley during the brunch event. Held at the 1920s classic-themed Delilah restaurant in West Hollywood, the weather did not affect the excitement going around the room one bit.For multi-GRAMMY nominated Linda Perry, her nomination for Producer Of The Year, Non-clasical at the 61st GRAMMY Awards could result in a historic win. “My particular nomination is a little bit different than the rest because a female hasn’t been represented in this category for over 14, 15 years,” she said. “If I win, I will be the first woman to have ever won Producer Of The Year, so it feels pretty special and I am extremely honored to be in this position, but I hope that we can move forward and we don’t have to wait another 14 years to have a woman represent.”Beyond Perry’s potentially historic nomination, there was a special excitement among first-time nominees, including comedian Fred Armisen, whose Standup For Drummers is nominated for Best Comedy Album.”It is the best feeling [to be nominated] not just cause it was a surprise, but because I just love the GRAMMYs,” said Armisen. “I really grew up, like everyone, obviously, on music, but I saw a picture of David Bowie with John Lennon and Paul Simon sort of backstage at the GRAMMYs in 1975, [and] I think and it just always looked really cool like the perfect hangout.” Golden gramophone winners, meanwhile, also milled around and enjoyed the perks of the pre-GRAMMYs festivities: For GRAMMY winner Weird Al Yankovic, who is a Best Boxed Or Special Limited Edition Package nominee for Squeeze Box: The Complete Works Of “Weird Al” Yankovic this year, loves the “free food before the show and [the] free food after … that’s always my favorite part,” he said. Yankovic, who has won four GRAMMYs and been nominated a whopping 16 times, also said that he never, ever tires of being a nominee: “It’s happened to me before, but it never gets old. I never get jaded about it. I get very excited every time I get to be a part of the GRAMMY festivities and it’s always nice to have validation from your peers and its a great hang, it’s a wonderful party.”Tune in to CBS on Feb. 10 to see who wins a golden gramophone at the 61st GRAMMY Awards. 2019 GRAMMY Awards: Complete Nominations List Twitter Email Linda Perry, Fred Armisen, Weird Al, & More Attend L.A. GRAMMY Nominee Reception
India’s second largest airline Jet Airways has launched a new strategy in a bid to woo passengers. The airline will launch an airfare scheme called “Fare Choices” on Aug. 17.Under the new scheme, passengers would have a range of choices while booking their flight tickets and they can customise their journey according to their needs. The fare categories are based on changing and refunding air tickets, baggage allowance, mileage points, upgrading facility and access to lounges, the Financial Express said.”The flexible fare choices will enhance our ability to compete with the low-cost carriers exponentially. This will also enable customers to book their trips early and also according to their budget,” Colin Neubronner, senior vice president (sales and marketing) was quoted as saying. In addition, Neubronner said the airline wants to allow passengers to alter their requirements. “We have tailored a product, which suits different customer requirements. We have drawn on the experience of telecom companies, which offer different plans for different consumers.”In the domestic aviation industry, June-October is known to be the lean season. During this time, domestic carriers typically offer discount schemes and slash airfares to fill loads on flights. The April-June season is the peak travel season as schools and colleges remain shut for holidays.Discount offersLast month Jet Airways introduced special offer for a limited period on domestic routes, under which the Mumbai-based carrier announced 20 percent discount on business and economy class base fares on its India network. The five-day #GetMore offer allowed fliers to avail substantial savings of upto 20 percent on base fares, which was valid on all direct flights across Jet Airways’ extensive domestic network. Market share and stock priceIndian air carriers flew 86.69 lakh passengers in May, 21.63 percent more than 71.29 lakh passengers last May, according to government (DGCA) data. Jet Airways had a market share of 16.1 percent for the month of May when compared to 15.9 percent in April.The Jet Airways stock was trading at Rs. 571.50 at around 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, up 0.27 percent from its previous close on the Bombay Stock Exchange.