Binatangs get intensive training

first_imgThe ten U16 PNG Binatangs who were selected to form Team South Pacific are getting intensive training to prepare for the National U16 championships at Australia’s Gold Coast. The annual championship will be held from July 5-14 bringing the best footy players from around Australia and the South Pacific region.The PNG boys were selected by AFL Queensland along with 15 other highly skilled athletes from New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Nauru and Vanuatu boys.Selection of the team was made during the recent South Pacific Cup that was held in Coffs Harbour, Australia.  PNG’s U16 Coca-Cola Binatangs retained the title for the second consecutive year.AFL Pacific development officer and coach of the South Pacific team, Ben Drew confirmed that all the players will be training in their respective countries and provinces here in PNG.Drew said they were given a training program from the South Pacific coaching panel to prepare well before travelling to Australia in July.“Each of the players was given a fitness regime to help them in areas that need improvement.“They know their strengths and weaknesses and the training program is a guide to help them to keep improving their skills.“What we want them to focus on is to keep improving their kicking, marking and handballing.“Even areas of contact skills, defence, forward, ruck and midfield strategies need to be maintained and improved every day,” he said.Drew said it’s not a massive fitness regime but enough to help them improve their skill work and physical fitness.Drew said earlier that the players will have to familiarise themselves with each other’s game and learn how to communicate well on the field because that’s very important.The trip to the Gold Coast includes a pre-tour training from July 5-7, high performance camp with the actual championship starting on the July 7-14.last_img read more

NZ urges Antarctica to get tough on tourist ships

first_imgSource = e-Travel Blackboard: J.L New Zealand is joining the fight to create more stringent rules for tourist ships visiting Antarctica, officials saying such rules are needed to prevent a disaster.New Zealand Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully told reporters this week that he believed there would be a serious maritime casualty involving a tourist vessel in Antarctica if action was not taken.He added that there could be a humanitarian and environmental disaster, pointing to the Canadian-owned Explorer which sank in 2007 after it hit an iceberg.McCully conveyed this message to delegates last week in Wellington during a three-day meeting which welcomed 80 experts from the 47 Antarctic Treaty countries.”We were lucky. No one was lost in that incident, but the fact that there have not been more serious consequences owes more to good luck than good management,” he said in a speech.”Clearly, we are on borrowed time.”The meeting was aimed at developing new regulations for tourist ships including recommendations on the types of ships that can be used in Antarctic waters and whether the use of heavy fuel oil should be banned. <a href=”http://www.etbtravelnews.global/click/1e711/” target=”_blank”><img src=”http://adsvr.travelads.biz/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=132&amp;cb=INSERT_RANDOM_NUMBER_HERE&amp;n=ada84479″ border=”0″ alt=””></a>last_img read more